Mehrab Shot and Killed

Merhab-1000

12 August 2012

A sad message came from Afghanistan.  Mehrab, who is known to some readers of my website, has been shot and killed.  I and many others greatly liked Mehrab.  He took good care of us in Jalalabad.  Every time I want to forget about Afghanistan, the names and faces of the good Afghans flood in, and Mehrab was one of them.  Mehrab will be missed by people in many countries.  Rest in peace from Thailand.

This is the sad note:

Ladies and Gentleman,

It is with great regret that I have to report to you some very sad news. This morning I was informed from Jalalabad that the Mehrab (Dr Mehrabudding Sirajuddin) the manager of the Taj was shot and killed by AGE yesterday. It seems it happened just a few hundred meters from his house in Najm-ul-Jihad close to [Jalalabad] city. His funeral is this morning at 0930 and I have passed on our condolences.

As you are all aware Mehrab was pivotal in the Taj and looked after us for a number of years and also went back along way with the UNICA compound in [Jalalabad].

Please pass to anyone who may have known him as he serves as part of our great memories and times in the Taj Jalalabad

MAY HIS SOUL REST IN PEACE

Comments

+10 # Words fail....austenlennnon 2012-08-12 19:10
I despair sometimes and wonder if we will ever leave a better place for the peaceful Afghans. But then I realise that. were we to abandon them, that many people like Merhab would be slaughtered in revenge and that the people would be subject to another reign of terror..... and we, the west, would be left vulnerable again. If only we could fight this war like a war and not have the leaders we do have..... perhaps things will change in November.

+3 # MrsClaudia 2012-08-13 02:16
I agree with you about that and hopefully November will see a new leader that will bring this country back to what the founding fathers envisioned for it freedom and liberty. I am deeply saddened by the loss of Dr.Merhab he had a kind face and looked like a good man. May he rest in eternal peace and may his murderer burn in hell....

+3 # Evil Triumphs...McHermann 2012-08-13 01:05
...when good men do nothing". I know that this is not exactly the quote, but it is good enough...and it is also a very sad commentary on our Country, as well as upon our society, when we are no longer willing to sacrifice ourselves for the good of others...Becaus e evil is always willing to sacrifice themselves to bring down the good.

However, being a man who believes in good, and in a God who wants us to work for the good, I believe that if we are willing to sacrifice ourselves for the safety and good of others, that we will be blessed, and the the "good" will eventually triumph.

St. Matthew 25:40 (KJV) And the King shall answer and say unto them, "Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me."

+3 # RE: Mehrab Shot and KilledCapo 2012-08-13 03:07
Mehrab was a good man, and was hospitible to all travelers. I was honored to call him friend.

+1 # RE: Mehrab Shot and KilledHeath 2012-08-13 17:46
My condolences and prayers go with Mehrab's family. This is the kind of people Afghanistan needs.

# Mehrab Sarajken 2012-08-16 00:53
For those interested, we have set up a Blog to share stories and pictures about Mehrab, and if you would like to Donate to his Family there is a link to do that.

I first started staying at Taj in 2006, Mehrab was most helpful in teaching me many things over the next 5 years as we navigated the Social Network of living outside the wire. He will be sorely missed. RIP Brother.