What is Your Vote?

17 November 2011

The United States faces greater threats at home than we face in Afghanistan.  The Mexican border, for instance, is being described as a war zone.  People have been warning about it for years.  Over time, I have seriously considered changing focus to the more proximate and bigger threats.

I am ready and willing to change primary focus to the home front.  This will require setting up shop and living in a place like Texas or Arizona.  Probably Texas.

I am testing the winds.  If the funding is there, it will happen.  I will move home to America and get to work.  If you are willing to support coverage on the home front, this is a situation where money talks.  If you vote “Yes, I will support it,” please annotate your vote with a note.

The bottom line question: Will you financially support this coverage?  The quality will be high.  So will the price.

Michael

Comments

+4 # Retnuhkle 2011-11-16 07:52
I vote YES...you have been doing an amazing job over-seas. Come home and show the world the truth about our southern border. You have my support.

+2 # CB 2011-11-16 08:11
My Military room mate lives in El Paso, (which I think is a great town) and is a wealth of knowledge re: the drug wars. I'd like to see a real expose of Op Gun Runner as well as a look into our continuing policy failures on ilegal immigration and reform. Our troops protect opium farming in AFPAK, Russians are running drugs in Mexico and the rich get richer and more Mexicans die. Wachovia made 100's of million's laundering money for the drug cartels and was fined pennies. Michael follow the money to find the culprits, they reside here. Watch your 6.

Yes, I'll support this effort.

+2 # Eric 2011-11-16 07:57
I think it's a great idea. It is destroying our country and making it 3rd world. And no, comments like that doesn't mean I'm a racist...

+2 # dfreeman 2011-11-16 07:57
I would support you.

# Cary Baumgartner 2011-11-16 07:59
Yes. we wourld be happy to have you here in TX. We need to defend our border.

CB

# Chris Madden 2011-11-16 08:01
I vote Yes. It's a politically incorrect story. Democrats are afraid of insulting Hispanics, so are Republicans, but the dirty truth is people south of the border will do jobs Americans won't, they'd rather stay home and collect unemployment. Of course the drug trade makes it violent. I've gone back and forth on the legalize drugs don't legalize drugs debate. If drugs are legal does the violence stop? Probably not. Bottom line our southern border is a joke and our agents charged with protecting it get prosecuted for very small infractions. Nobody in Washington cares. Our country is like Rome right before the Vandals burned it to the ground.

# james mccune 2011-11-16 08:01
What a noble idea. I lived in that area
For 30 years. I know it is very danger
pus and political. I say yes and Gods
speed.

+4 # austenlennnon 2011-11-16 08:03
As someone who has an interest in the wars that we (The British) are involved in I would prefer the foreign reporting.... but I do realise just how important it is to protect America.... I think from a very honest perspective if the contributions from foreigners, like myself, are minimal then you should do what is best for yourself. As you probably know most foreigners would donate to you for your war reporting..... and we (British) lack honest war reporting. I suspect that the foreign donations would drop off..... but that is a decision you must make.

If America loses 'America'.... then we all will suffer...... Good luck and move to Texas... Glenn Beck is moving there and for good reason I understand.

+2 # Andrew Johnson 2011-11-16 08:03
I vote Yes! Some light needs to be set on this most pressing of domestic issues.

+8 # Byron 2011-11-16 08:04
I would like to see coverage of the Mexico situation but it is extremely dangerous, especially for reporters. Potentially, far more dangerous for you than being in Iraq or Afghanistan. You won't be facing a handful of rogue commanders, the corruption here goes clear to the top of the Justice Department and Eric Holder. If you choose to do this, be very careful.

+4 # Texas2Step 2011-11-16 08:05
YES! Those of us who live near the border have been watching the violence grow for many years, but the national media give scant coverage to the story. Come to Texas - you'll be welcome. We need someone to provide honest, deep coverage of the scourge of the drug cartels and their wars. Nobody will do that better than you will. I have given a donation before, and I'm going to give another right now.

# David St Lawrence 2011-11-16 08:34
Yes! Your abilities and clear-eyed analysis are sorely needed here in the US. I have sent my donation to support your move. I will continue to donate to support it.

We have already lost our "national identity" in some areas because of the treasonous demolishing of our borders. Our long standing immigration procedure made America one of the strongest and safest countries in the world because legal immigrants were provided with a means to assimilate our culture and become citizens. Opening the doors to illegal immigration makes a mockery of our cultural values and constitutional safeguards.

Spotlighting those who profit from illegal immigration would take as much courage as reporting on foreign wars and would generate lasting interest as well as incoming fire. I do not feel you would be bored and your supply lines would be shorter. Come home where you are needed!

# J 2011-11-16 08:05
Yes, however I think you will find it a very complicated place. The ties between Mexico and the US are vast, but weak. The countries should be working together as a whole to end the violence. Infighting and bickering have brought the two countries to and understanding of mutual indifference. The Cartels should be treated as invading armies. Pushed from the US back to Mexico and with our help pushed from Mexico to lands further south. Continue to sush them as far as we can. It is much easier to defen the small borders in the Yucatan against infiltration than the large borders in the US.

# Paul Hays 2011-11-16 08:06
Affirmative. I am prepositioned in AZ, locked and cocked. Make your move. Semper Fi.

+4 # John Joe 2011-11-16 08:08
I'd say you've done enough in Afghanistan at this stage but my feeling is you may have already overstayed your welcome. The biggest threat will not be from the Afghan's at this stage and if we can be brutally honest here I think your decision has already been made. Get out of there now before some stupid blue-on-blue takes a pot-shot at you, that's my advice.

As for Mexico? I'd stay well away from that part of the world. The madness that exists along that border is simply not worth the air-fare. Nobody is interested in what goes on there anymore. Why? Because it's almost impossible to police. It's just a big long fence with a lot of very dangerous thugs trying to make a crust and that's about the height of it.

# Max 2011-11-16 08:32
come home and expose the criminal activities that are going on along the border that our government wants to "ignore".

+5 # Peter 2011-11-16 08:08
As a former S.F. type, with 10th Group was out of Ft. Devens, I would like to see how you cover this. However, I would be very disappointed if you don't cover that fact that were it not for the U.S. being the foremost marketplace for drugs from Mexico, this perhaps would not be the problem it is. This situation is not, in my eyes, primarily a problem with Mexico, but one that finds its deep and seemingly intractable roots within our own country. The immigration issue I believe is a separate one entirely.

# Michael Yon 2011-11-16 21:51
Agreed -- immigration and the drug trade are mostly separate issues.

+4 # sjw54 2011-11-16 08:09
Not only the borders....but the Muslim Brotherhood and Islam creeping in all over this country.......t he enemy is within and without......th ere is much here to cover.....illeg al aliens and those who are here with green cards who want nothing more than to wipe out the infidels....... ..

+5 # Shri 2011-11-16 08:09
I vote yes. And do consider AZ. We can't even go to our own natational/stat e parks as they are not safe even in the daylight. Not to mention all the kidnappings out my way.

+2 # dee 2011-11-16 08:15
Who will tell the story of our fighting men and women in AFG? Take a break if you must but please don't desert them. The mainstream media is no better than the CINC...worthles s at best.

# Tango 1 2011-11-16 08:17
As much as I have appreciated and anticipated your honest and straight forward reporting on what is really happening overseas, I would love to see and hear the same type of reporting about what is happening right here in our Nations back yard. What ever decision you make, you will have our support. Stay vigilant and safe, God Bless.

+2 # PAT L 2011-11-16 08:20
I think you should stay where you are at until there is more of a draw down of troops in Afghanistan. Who else will tell us what is happening with our military? We must not forget them. The major news networks do not report on out military.

+2 # Jeff 2011-11-16 08:23
I would like to see you home. I wanted to say "home safe", but our border is NOT safe. Since our homeland security is just as important, and is even less truthfully reported, I would very much plead that you return to the USA!

Thanks for all you've done, both in and out of uniform!

Jeff...

+1 # Steve 2011-11-16 08:24
I will continue to support whichever choice you make.

# J. Davila 2011-11-16 08:25
I have supported you in the past and whether it is Afghan, Iraq or US/Mexico border, I will continue to support you in the future. The Alphabet channels just don't provide the type of objective coverage you do.

# Warfighter21 2011-11-16 08:37
Yes, I will support it.

Michael, you've done and continue to do outstanding work in covering our activities in both Iraq and Afghanistan. I believe the problems along our border pose a more immediate threat to the security of the U.S. and the American people, so of course I would support your efforts there, should you choose to shift focus.

And I'm sure you'd take adequate precautions to protect and secure your home base from retribution by these narco-criminals.

Looking forward to your next posts.

+1 # Rudy 2011-11-16 08:37
Efforting radio interoperabilit y with federal state and local officials which is key to LEO and other 1st responders along CA AZ NM & TX ().
Let me know if you are interested - comms are key to command&control.
Rudy

# Doug Gugino 2011-11-16 08:42
I vote that I'll support - leave the decision to you (cop out, I know).

+1 # Cathi Luytjes 2011-11-16 08:50
Come home, Michael. I think if we can get honest reports on what is happening at our border, people will respond with support and funding. Of course, a lot depends on your view on illegal immigration and drugs, and the people involved. Just sayin'.

# Ed Parent 2011-11-16 08:53
I've supported you since 2006 and will continue to do so, regardless of where you report from.

# Bill 2011-11-16 08:55
I believe better coverage on both sides of the border is a critical story that needs to be told. I have heard that the cartels threaten many small city governments and police forces even on the United States side of the border. Protecting our sovereignty is key, and the story must be investigated and told truthfully. Thank you for your service to our warriors in both Afghanistan and Iraq.

# karl 2011-11-16 08:57
Whatever you wanna do, Michael, my financial support will still be there. I've been following the news in Mexico relatively closely, so I'm thirsting for some first-hand knowledge about Mexico as much as about Afghanistan.

+2 # Richard 2011-11-16 09:04
There are a lot of readers with sons and daughters in Afghanistan, and I know they deeply appreciate your 'voice in the wilderness' letting them know what things are like on the ground. However, you have already given us a clear and honest picture, and I don't think it will change much as we withdraw over the next couple of years.

Today we have about as much credible information on US border problems as we had in Iraq and Afghanistan before you started reporting - not much.

IMO, your investigative skills, and credibility with policy-makers, make you more valuable back home.
That's my vote.
(Besides, there are a lot more birds to take photos of, LOL)

Be careful - you'll be at greater risk. You won't be embedded with professionals watching your six. There are a lot of muy malo hombres that won't think twice about offing anyone threatening their businesses -- or just for the hell of it.

If you go, I'll up my small ante.

# Preston 2011-11-16 09:05
Michael, I live in Texas and would love to read your quality of reporting on the border problems. I'm also dead serious when I say that I'd worry for your personal safety much more in Mexico than in Afghanistan. There, you're one target among many. Here, your reporting could quite likely make you a target for assassination.

All of that being said, yes I'd financially support you. I'd also buy you a drink if you were in my neck of the woods.

# jw 2011-11-16 09:09
i might be the only one that doesn't know what i would do. i've sent about $2500 (i don't know if that is a little or a lot as donors go) so far and promised myself that i would keep sending money as long as you were reporting the war and i was alive. your reports from thailand didn't much interest me. mexico? a story that needs telling, but, truthfully, i think i would need to see a dispatch or two before i would promise long term support.

just trying to be honest.

+1 # Tiptree 2011-11-16 09:20
Somebody needs to get the truth out about our border issues. Who better than Michael Yon? Now that the drug cartels have been cooperating with terrorist organizations, the threat is much greater here at home.

# Sean Peters 2011-11-16 09:21
I vote YES. The violence along the border a short drive south of my ranch rivals that of Mogadishu. More importantly is somebody NEEDS to uncover the treason committed by our current administration in selling arms to the cartels. When the Holder dept. uses FFL dealers to advance their agenda and then turns around and sends in APC's and helicopters to raid said dealer when things go south (no pun intended) one has to conclude there is a cover up going on. Such stories get virtually no coverage and are strickly presented as talking points. My wife and I would support your move and would be honored to provide lodging if the need arises for you here in Southern New Mexico.

+3 # Sgt Scott 2011-11-16 09:24

I've followed you for a couple of years now. I've been back from the Afghan theater for 32 days. We need your coverage in both areas, but if there is a choice between the two I choose coverage on the border in the US.

If it comes to be you might find it more dangerous than the war zones in both Iraq and Afghanistan. Thanks for what you do. Be safe.

Sgt Scott

+2 # Steve A 2011-11-16 09:29
I would support you as much as possible for a border mission. The concern stated by others about your safety from the bad guys is valid. Your indepth reporting is needed to get the proper attention to these issues, it is sadly lacking now except for a few outlets.

# Bret 2011-11-16 09:29
YES! As an Arizona resident have seen first hand the need for getting the truth out about what is going happening on the border.

+2 # susan 2011-11-16 09:32
Yes...agree with other comments on how you have helped us know more of what has really gone on in the Middle Eastern combat zones. I will continue to support your efforts.

+1 # David 2011-11-16 09:36
I contributed a small sum a few years ago. Right now I can contribute 2 bedrooms and a full bath in our home in San Antonio. If you really want to do this, I imagine all of us here can find you more money than you need.

+1 # Peggy 2011-11-16 09:39
This is a tough one. Our guys need you to tell their story so they are not forgotten but at the same time there is a battle here that undermines their very sacrifice. It needs to be brought to the forefront as well. I vote yes. I will make a commitment to not forget our guys or you!

+2 # John Hopkinson 2011-11-16 09:44

This is what you are staring at,Michael. I will send a few bucks when I can. I am sure you understand that rubbing a colonel's nose can cause some mild hardship. Mexico is zero tolerance, either badass or government. (Oh, is there any difference?)

+4 # Ian OConnell 2011-11-16 09:48
Stay with Afghanistan and Iraq! You are one of the few who can give an accurate picture of what our (and allied) troops are doing and experiencing. Plan on the border after the misguided decision to withdraw from both countries takes place. I'm looking forward to seeing the same quality of work that you have done in Iraq and Afghanistan, but the cartels won't like it.

+2 # Frank 2011-11-16 09:51
I think you will have plenty of financial support from all the grass root organizations that have popped-up over this illegal problem. Farmers and the people who live in this area are sick of Washington's BS I vote to go to the Border!

+6 # ckm 2011-11-16 09:53
You need to make this call. You are needed so badly in both places. Thank you so much for what you
are doing every day. Your messages are incredible!

-1 # Jaime Cancio 2011-11-16 09:56

Last year, I suggested the same senario to you as you are now requesting support. Flip-flop, you are lowere to the level of just another low life liberal. Last year your comment held me in contempt, can you imagine how your credibility is now in question to a far greater degree than the contempt shown me when I suggested this approach. May I first suggest your research, I will make this easy on you, first the Department of Justice data and statistic departments and find out that in this year of your inactivity in excess of 25,000 Americans have been killed by illegal immigrants in the nation of the United States. Over 10,000 murders and death from torture and an additional in excess of 15,000 killed in automobile accidents involving illegal immigrants [immigrants that don't have driver's licsence and who can not read the English on road sign - and of course let's not forget the illegals who think themselves above the laws - traffic and legal.

May I suggest you not pursue this choice in journalism and allow far better reportage by reporters 'facts' driven. And no I will not support you in this venture as I sincerely feel there are far better reporters than you that can give this subject better and accurate reportage. I will ignore your vocal support of Obama in this issue as following that would further hamper your position and credibility.

+1 # Paul 2011-11-16 10:04
Michael, I have supported you to the tune of $100 per month for a long time even though I have never set it up as a recurring donation. I'm willing to continue in that manner whether you chose the US border or continue in the formal war zones. Since I live in south Texas the border issue is personally important to me and my family and friends. I do subscribe to Stratfor and feel that I get decent coverage though it does not provide the personal touches that I would expect from you. As a side note, I recall your comments on the supposed gun running from the US from a couple of years ago and suggest that you try to start with a clean slate if you chose the border assignment.

# burbanite 2011-11-16 10:16
To investigate the border is to investigate the government, the complicity in this is beyond belief and that story needs to get to the masses. Contact Congressman Issa as you will get absolutely NO co-operation from any of the "Law Enforcement Agencies" to get you where you would need to be as they are the ones who are perpetrating the violence and the weapon/drug smuggling. Senator Grassley is another person that I would definitely talk to.

I would hate to lose the only real coverage of the Afghan situation but right now we are under siege here from our own. This needs to be dealt with before more people are murdered as a direct result, (hundreds so far from Operation Fast and Furious), and more of those liberties that our military are fighting for are lost to us while no-one is watching.

+1 # larry landers 2011-11-16 10:17
Yes michael i will continue to support you financially if you move to the border. I live in Houston texas and you always have a free place to stay

+3 # Dorman Jake Jacobsen 2011-11-16 10:18
Hi Michael, you are needed in both places but the big threat to our nation is coming from the border. I try to send a few bucks every month and I will continue to do so. Just remember on our border you will have danger from our Government too, they don't want that story out. Thanks Jake

# Lisa 2011-11-16 10:30
Yes to home front.

+2 # David Swanson 2011-11-16 10:31
Michael, sadly the war over there is lost. As usual, not by the military, but by the politicians. Afghanistan is going to return to what it was before 9/11. The same can be said about the fight on our border, but it deserves your coverage more. Possibly with the kind of coverage you provide, things may change, or at least some of us will know why it goes badly. Come Home!

+2 # Don 2011-11-16 10:35
My thoughts for a long time... Agfghanistan is a failed and always has been - state. Its social sensibility will take a century or longer to improve. The latest 2 episodes of CBS's - NCIS illustrated it well. My position on AfPak is to abandon and quarantine it. Unless they can even get beyond their pre-humanity strangle hold on social sensibility and moral intelligence AfPak is a goner. Latin America is far more more dangerous. But, your financing will improve reporting as you get closer to America. Along the border, to a cesspool of dysfunctional corruption, you will become an absolute media darling than sitting on another planet in Afghansitan. Politicians along the Latin American corridor don't give a diddly squat about that forboding planet that you are operating on. Now, it will be more dangerous for you in that the cartel will target you and along with corrupted politicians south and increasingly in the north they will allow you to be compromised and targetd. Now if that is not rationale I don't know what would be.

# PAUL SMITH 2011-11-16 10:45
I am not going to jump in here. I read each of your dispatches with great interest.
I am retired and too old to join you. This would be the only way I would vote; by
becoming someone who would get his hands dirty.
All I can do for you is pray because of poor choices I made when I had the strength and
stamina to do something about my circumstances. I pray each time I see your name on an
email and on Facebook. Michael, it's your call.

+2 # H 2011-11-16 10:47
Cartels have actively targeted journalists, and they have the resources to do it with impunity. If you do this, please realize you would be walking around with a big red X everywhere you go.

On top of that, you would not be embedded with a squad of friendly soldiers willing & ready to shoot back.

I would seriously fear for your safety. Your facial skin displayed on a soccer ball sitting atop a pile of your roughly-butcher ed body parts is not something I would like to read about.

This is the standard behavior of the people involved in our border troubles, and it gets under-reported.

If you do this, please, PLEASE be careful.

+2 # Peter 2011-11-16 10:54
Michael, as much as I would like in-depth reporting on the home front--Mexico-- things are heating up with the US pull out of Iraq, and the Iran nuclear bomb scenario. Maybe you should wait three months to see what is happening after the US pulls out of Iraq. There are plenty of closely based US journalists who will begin to cover the home front from Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and California. It is much closer to home for them, and in their backyard, whereas Central Asia is your Forte'. yours, Peter in MN

+1 # Dave Carlton 2011-11-16 11:58
I concur with Peter.

# SBU 2011-11-16 10:54
I'd support it.

# burbanite 2011-11-16 10:56
If you want immediate access then I would suggest getting in touch with the person who can get you in RFN, Sheriff Paul Babeu.

# Delilah 2011-11-16 10:58
I give a small amount through PayPal every month, only $10. I know it's not much but am willing to up that to $25 monthly if you go to the border. Actually, I will bump that up to at least $20 anyway. Michael, I so admire your work, if you were to honestly tell me you needed more I would try to do that even though we are retired.

+1 # Patty Morton 2011-11-16 10:59
Tough call, but I vote for the U.S. border. You're starting to get bureaucratic run-around for embeds anyway and at the rate this Administration is going, our troops will likely be pulled out of Afghanistan ala Iraq before long. You'll have my continued financial support either way.

+3 # Gregg Longworth 2011-11-16 11:02
Yes, the US-Mexican border is a war zone. Yes, it is closer to home. However, the work in Afghanistan is not done. Therefore, your work in Afghanistan is not done. The US has spent too much time, blood & treasure to abandon Afghanistan. The US people need to know what is going on there so we may keep an eye on our civilian leadership. We need to remain informed so that we can ensure our civilian leadership does not abandon victory for the sake of political expediency. You are the only voice in Afghanistan I trust. Losing your voice there takes away our ground truth. I ask that you stay.

+4 # Lucretia Lane 2011-11-16 11:04
Michael, My support is small but whatever you decide will be supported by me. Will our army miss your presence/ lucretia

+3 # David 2011-11-16 11:12
We need you in Afghanistant/Ir aq more than on the border.

# John Ryys 2011-11-16 11:17
The U.S. Border should receive coverage first and foremost. The border agents are dying for a noble cause, their country. While I support the "war" in Afghanistan and believe the troops sacrifice their lives and limbs for our country, we need to ask why. If Al-Queda is the enemy, then the whole Middle East and parts of Europe should be "surged," because they are not located just in Afghanistan. You cannot declare war on an idea! We should be defending our homeland/border s first and foremost. If we can't do that, then why on earth are we in Afghanistan. We lose leaders for asking this question in the Air Force-- "Why are we in Afghaniston??" Mr. Yon, I strongly support the decision to have coverage on our border and the security of the nation!!

# J Czarnecki 2011-11-16 11:25
If your coverage will be as comprehensive as overseas, then go for it.

+3 # Dennis ODonnell 2011-11-16 11:26
Michael, Id prefer to see our domestic journalists covering our borders. You are one of the few willing and able to cover the far off battlegrounds. Its your choice. We need you wherever you choose to be. God Bless and God Speed.
A Soldiers Dad

+2 # Rick 2011-11-16 11:42
I prefer your reporting from abroad.

-4 # Knowsit 2011-11-16 11:42
Oh, this is slick. You're good.

+2 # Curious George 2011-11-16 13:44
I'm curious... are you one of those people who is bitter that Michael didn't say something the way you wanted him to, or is it something else?

Please elaborate!

+4 # Gayle 2011-11-16 11:49
I live in AZ and recognize the border as a serious issue, both in terms of national sovereignty and terrorism. However, I agree with a previous comment that we 1) need to be aware of what is happening in Afghanistan and you are one of our few trustworthy sources and thus a means of keeping the government accountable, 2) our troops over there deserve the coverage and I have two sons in the Army, one deploying to AFG in 2012, 3) I do expect things in Iraq to heat up again with our pull out and 4) Iran is going to continue to become a greater concern as its leaders are following a destructive spiritual doctrine that involves bringing about the return of their Mahdi through world destruction/tur moil.

Thus, I vote you continue your coverage of the war of Afghanistan and the events of the Middle East. My husband and I will be supporting you financially, more than in the past.

-1 # Spoke1 2011-11-16 12:01
Border is good.

+1 # Frank 2011-11-16 12:02
Folks,

Please keep in mind that these foreign wars are draining this country and killing our people. If we protect all four borders and restrict the amount of foreigners coming into our country we will be ahead of the game. Do you see Saudi's letting US citizens into their country? No only US citizens with business. Placing our US Military and National Guard( what the Guard is for)troops along the border with the Border Patrol and Local Law enforcement will quickly send a message to the Cartels and the Illegals.

I can't understand why we continue to support foreign countries that hate us. We are poor because these countries drain us and our taxes continue to rise. Now corporate has moved all their maufacturing to another country to reap the benefits. We the people, are either naive or stupid to politics. How many times to we place out hand on the hot stove?

+3 # Jeff E in Bucks, PA 2011-11-16 12:16
Michael, my financial support, small as it is, will continue regardless, but I would like to hear the boots on the ground truth from you in Afghanistan. I'll pray you make the right choice as I continue to pray for your work & safety.

# Larry Uelk 2011-11-16 12:24
You can count on me.

+2 # Leyla Najma 2011-11-16 12:27
Personally, it would be great to have you back in the US. But then the soldiers seem to need you in Afghanistan. It's a tough call and one I'm on the fencepost about. Follow your heart.

+1 # Nani Kemp 2011-11-16 12:36
I stopped reading your posts cause you seem to be totally disengaged with the battle, right here, at home. The Obama Administration are on a mission to destroy this country from within. This wannabe dictator has signed 98 executive orders, filed lawsuits against states trying to enforce their immigration laws, haulted oil exploration in the Gulf & Alaska, put up roadblocks to extend pipeline from No.Dakota to lower 48, turned NASA into a Muslim outreach, sold guns to Mexican drug cartels, goes around the world apologizing for America & bowing to their leaders, handcuffed our military with ridiculous rules of engagement, burden businesses with hundreds of costly new regulations, laundered millions/billio ns of tax dollars to labor unions & failed "green" companies, takes extravagant vacations, just to name a few. If Obama is reelected, you can kiss this country, goodbye.

+2 # frank 2011-11-16 12:58
You are so right! The hell with foreign countries. Let get back to basics.The more money, troops and weapons sold to foreign countries the more problems we encounter. I want our country strong again. What we get is third world countries threatening us everyday and we turn the other cheek. I want this great nation to be called a "Bully" again by other coutries at least they know we won't play games like the present administration does.

+1 # Nani Kemp 2011-11-16 13:44
Forgot to mention, Obamacare.

+2 # Mary 2011-11-16 12:52
Our troops have been used as pawns in the global jihad for over ten years, setting up Islamic democracies (Islamic constitution equals Sharia law to enforce it) and being picked off/weakened by jihadists from all over the world. Obama then sends the rest to Libya and other countries to establish yet more Islamic democracies. Meanwhile, the global jihad has allied with the Mexican drug cartel to smack down the U.S. (hogtie) with drugs. We need our troops stationed at our borders, and perhaps your investigation, in-depth, eye-witness, on-the-ground expose would help that happen. Just don't let your guard down and watch your back.

+2 # Hal Tenney 2011-11-16 13:17
My thoughts exactly. I feel the very dangerous situation at our border with Mexico is not getting near enough attention from those who are in a position to do something about it. And then when someone does do something positive, like the governor of Arizona, she is attacked by our Federal Govt as being radical. I believe your presence there would provide the exposure we need to get some action out of Washington! I am not able to provide major financial support but I would continue providing what I can.

+1 # bkattic 2011-11-16 15:46
I like this suggestion: "shift to the mex border when the fighting
season ends (in Afghanistan), and then shift back as winter ends".

Remember, no friendlies on the border if the
cartel members know you are bring them into the 'light'.
They are killing journalist who write about their
operations (openly). Very dangerous and cannot be overstated.

+1 # Matt 2011-11-16 13:18
I think you need to come back. Although you are the only one in Afghanistan reporting the truth, there is no one reporting the truth over here. The Mexican invasion needs to be covered. The destruction of liberty and the socio/economic collapse also needs to be covered. As we continue the downward spiral to socialism and crony bailout nanny statehood; misled unemployed youth are rioting in the streets, being manipulated by various radical groups; real unemployment is around 20%. It will be getting interesting, and you will have plenty to cover. We are getting tired of the Orwellian crap that the mainstream is spouting. Sending donation your way.

-1 # W. L. Roy 2011-11-16 13:50
It's time we have the absolute truth about the southern border invasion situation. Things have been very serious down there for a long tiem. You can help us, for sure. Count me in on the help.

+1 # Crafty Dog 2011-11-16 14:03
Question: Exactly what do you envision covering? Going out on patrol with Border Patrol? Spending time on the private property of American citizens that our govt is allowing to be invaded? Going into Mexico? If so, to do what?

You have some very special skills-- how would you be bringing them to bear here?

I ask as someone with nearly 40 years of interesting experience in Mexico.

+1 # Tim Roesch 2011-11-16 14:13
Greetings:
Can you spawn? =-)
Gayle makes a great point.
There has to be a SEAL or Green Beret or a ground pounder who, after a few months apprenticeship can carry your torch to the Southern Border.
While our troops fight in Afghanistan and Iraq we are losing our country here. We need no nonsense leadership on our Southern Border and reporting that isn't afraid of its own shadow. Can you imagine a SEAL being elected as Chief of Police in a small, Mexican border town? How about a reporter with some back up?
Are the troops in your AOO aware of what's going on in CONUS?

My vote is you stay put and spawn yourself using your contacts in the military.
And, once again, there are ways to make money with your photos. Kids books, books for Homeschoolers.. .I have ideas for textbooks..... I can't give you alot of money but I can trade my efforts for donations.

# CW2 Richard Schoberg USA Ret 2011-11-16 14:20
One of our sons is a Marine Gunner stationed south of Kandahar, we live in Texas. It's a sad comment that reporting on the situation at the Texas border is as crutial as the fighting in Afganistan. Come home.

+1 # Elizabeth 2011-11-16 14:33
We live in Texas, too, and need someone with your abilities to get to the core issues. thanks for all you do. Betsy

# Shane 2011-11-16 14:57
I think you have to go to the border because something really needs to be done. It's bad Michael. These cartels are killing just as viscously as any afghans and they're in our neighborhoods throughout the US! I live in Texas and will donate to the cause should you decide to help protect our more immediate threats. You must come help!

# Ben Bell 2011-11-16 15:02
I support you no matter where you report from . I would prefer to see you take on the dangerous border situation here, the truth of which is under reported, but only if you leave the reporting from Afghanistan in good, honest hands. I will do my level best to up my support.

# tim 2011-11-16 15:10
perhaps shift to the mex border when the fighting season ends and then shift back as winter ends

+1 # Matthew M 2011-11-16 15:37
I think this is a great idea. But only if you promise to go back to Afghanistan after a year or however long it takes. :-)
How can this be anymore expensive than what you are doing now?
You also might want to look into some of the cases the US attorney General took up against some border patrol agents which has all the appearances of the agents being railroaded for no apparent reason, such as Diaz and Compleanos (I hope I spelled that last one right. Going from memory here.)

-11 # foo 2011-11-16 15:48
I am glad you did not mention New Mexico as a possible location for your "dispatches". You would not be welcome here.

+2 # Sean 2011-11-16 20:01
The TRUTH hurts. As a New Mexican, I'd welcome some sunshine on the corruption, greed, and murder.

You are welcome here in New Mexico Senior Yon!

+2 # apd148 2011-11-16 16:30
Yes, I'll support it. I contribute monthly authorize.net.

I just moved to AZ from TX, so I'm familiar with the Mexican Invasion on both fronts.

+2 # Janet 2011-11-16 17:34
I would prefer that you bring the troops home with you. If you come back (and I'm not saying that you shouldn't) who will be there to report whats really going on in Afghanistan? My son is set to be redeployed the end of next year and I am scarred that its gotten much worse than when he was there this year.

# Taco Bell 2011-11-16 18:08
Not sure Texas would be big enough for your ego...Think you should stay in Thailand since that is where all your re-post of daily events are coming from.

# Brian 2011-11-16 18:30
Going to Mexico will make Afghanistan look like a piece of cake. Exposing and reporting drug lords would be very dangerous, it would be very hard to trust anyone that you talk to. I am still sick over a video I watched on a blog that showed two snitches getting their heads cut off (one by chainsaw the other by knife) by a drug lords goons. Only you can make the decision Mike you have so much more experience than me with all this. I have no doubt your correspondence will open my eyes even more to what's going on in Mexico as you did for me in Iraq and Afghanistan, but your reports need more MSM exposure. I learned about you from an editorial in "Investors Business Daily" newspaper but I have not seen you on any major news programs. Our current administration who fights every attempt to curb what's going on down there and has no stomach for Afghanistan I suppose your efforts would be better spent reporting from the border

-1 # Ricochet 2011-11-16 18:43
Contact Sheriff Paul Babeu in Pinal County AZ where we lost the Border Patrolman (who was) going after the rip-off gangs that are stealing from and sometimes killing the drug runners.

+2 # Barney Brenner 2011-11-16 18:48
Michael –

I’ve donated in the past and would do so again to support this idea. It’s an ideal and logical extension of your efforts to support and defend this country.

I also hope that you consider Arizona. I believe there’s more opposition from the feds to AZ than Texas and the Tucson sector/corridor may be the most porous in the US.

Some of our state legislators have set up a website at https://www.buildtheborderfence.com/azborder/index.xhtml to encourage private donations toward an effort to build the fence, double or triple layer as necessary, in the most cost- and result-effectiv e areas, with 50 cents an hour prison labor.

As in the warfront, there’s much mis- and disinformation to dispel. AZ is the former home of the author of the phrase, “Show me a 50’ fence and I’ll show you a 51’ ladder,” clearly showing that our illustrious DHS secretary knows nothing of either fences or ladders.

We don’t have to (and can’t) “seal” the border, a word that’s misused by both sides of the debate. But control is certainly possible, with attainable entry reduction in the 90%+ range.

Stay safe, there or here, and thanks for all you do,
Barney Brenner, Tucson

+1 # Michael Yon 2011-11-16 19:55
Thank you for this, Barney. Will check.

+2 # Ed Maynard 2011-11-16 19:19
Michael, something in my gut says that you're not finished what you're doing now. It seems premature for you to pull out - maybe you're getting some heat from the Dustoff issue - I don't know - but I would not be surprised. I'm sure some follks in DC don't play nice. Part of me thinks that you're needed with our troops more now than ever - as Obama plans on pulling our troops out before it's time. We'll need someone there to tell us what is really happening in Iraq and Afghanistan as 2012 comes around.
I donate when I can but it sounds like you're asking for more money than what your followers have given in the past. Maybe it's time to seek out private or corporate sponsorship - something that won't make you compromise your principals. I'm sure there are some folks out there with your point of view with deep pockets - you just have to find them.
I also echo the concerns of others that Mexico will be much more dangerous - you piss off one of those druglords and that will be the end of you. We all don't want to see that happen.

+3 # James F. McClellan 2011-11-16 19:57
I trust you Mike, and will continue to support you as we are able.

+4 # jim 2011-11-16 20:05
Far be it from me to say, "No, don't come home, stay in a dangerous place so you can inform me." In my opinion you've done more than your share, and you don't owe anybody anything. However, I read your reporting because I feel I'm getting information about Afghanistan and our service men and women that I don't get anywhere else. I think you have an important and unique voice in this area of reporting. I'm not sure you would have this same unique and important voice on the US border which is so accessable to so many American reporters. I feel it would be like when a rock band trys to play country music. They may be a great rock band, but only a competant county band. So my vote is that you continue to what you're truely great at. In the end though you don't owe me a damn thing. I owe you for all the great information, discomfort and hard, dangerous work you've done. If you've just had enough and want to come home you should follow your heart.

+5 # James 2011-11-16 20:10
Ditto with Jim

+1 # Jeff 2011-11-16 20:48
Love this idea Michael. I'll do what I can to help and support.

# Douglas Cheng 2011-11-17 00:13
Our southern border is indeed out of control. But who will keep us informed on what our troops are facing in Afghanistan? Without you there, our efforts there will quickly drift lower under the radar. Your reportage there is unique and respected. Although I would prefer you continue your reports from Afghanistan, I will continue to follow and support your reports from wherever. Thanks for performing great and dangerous work!

Doug

+3 # Lynda 2011-11-16 20:58
My vote is that you stay in Afghanistan. You've often said our guys over there feel like America has forgotten them. You are one of the few voices speaking on their behalf to keep us reminded - and we need your honesty. I don't want our guys to feel any more abandoned than they do now. I hope you stay there and see this through for the guys's sake.

+3 # CarlN0130 2011-11-16 21:14
Personally I would like to see you continue reporting from Afghanistan. Easy for me to say though,I don't get shot at.

+2 # KenF 2011-11-16 21:43
It's like you've read my mind Michael. We need more coverage on our Southern border. Be aware, the cartels will try to take you out if you happen upon something that irks them enough. These people are the worst of the worst. Drugs have caused a complete meltdown of law and order in most of Mexico.

You can count on my support, no matter where you're working. Good luck!

+2 # dave 2011-11-16 22:12
i vote for a-stan. no one else is telling us shit about what is going on over there. but, if you come back, come to Arizona. I live in Tucson, we're the front line for the invasion and the fast and furious operations (designed to create the crisis that would empower the government to come and try and take our guns once and for all) and we need someone to come and pull their covers down.

+3 # BillS 2011-11-17 00:42
Michael - As important as the southern boarder is, I believe it is more important to have you over there watching over our soldiers and Marines as this administration and the media start to ignore the sacrifice we are still making in that region. You are our eyes and ears. Keep up the good work.

+1 # leanmeann 2011-11-17 01:20
So Michael should stay in this land of waste here to continue to endure live under difficult circumstances so that you and the others can read up on a few things and learn a few more things right?
Our southern border is the down fall of our nation, the invation of our country is a peaceful one, watch it 50 years from now if we don't secure it, Mexico will retake all of the lands and then some...

+3 # Jack E. Hammond 2011-11-17 01:05
Dear Michael,

I will keep sending my money every four months, no matter if it is Afghanistan or Mexico. But I would rather see you report Afghanistan. And for a good reason. You start reporting Mexico, you will die a horrible death. The Taliban are little kids when it comes to being cruel. The los Zetas are adults. I don't want to see photos of your body parts hanging from a highway overpass bridge. So keep up the good work in Asia.

Jack E. Hammond

# Michael Yon 2011-11-17 02:35
Thank you, Jack. Am not abandoning Afghanistan. A unit has invited me in 2012 and I agreed way back to cover them. (I covered them before.). I also don't want to die a horrible death. Am in agreement with many others that Mexico is more dangerous.

+1 # AmericanRedneckInChina 2011-11-17 03:06
Dear Michael,

As a US Citizen living in China, I have been following you for a couple of years because in so many cases you do get to the core underlying issue. I think that you have demonstrated one specific agenda: supporting our troops and getting the truth out; unfortunately, I do not think that there is another correspondent out there that will fill your shoes or if they want to, then their editor(s) prevent them. I do not always agree with you or agree with how you handle things, but I do always respect your integrity and willingness to go in harms way.

I do think that the US Borders are a more immediate need. For years I have watched the Department of Hopeless (or Hapless) Security serve as another means of government welfare rather than offer any effective solution for securing our borders. I have often thought that the Chinese could teach TSA quite a bit on effective and non-intrusive airport security!

The issue on our Southern Border is not going away and will just increase in intensity while we are being increasingly denied the right to protect ourselves. I think that part of your value is that you are NOT part of the MSM complex and can report independently on the real issues there and bring exposure and daylight to both sides of the frontier. I for one do not care what happens in the Middle East if we cannot secure our Border. Its not that the Middle East is not important, but when you have an ongoing crisis at home, your not as worried about elsewhere...unt il it bleeds over to your own home.

My vote: Come home and cover out southern borders.

-1 # ran 2011-11-17 05:13
Michael
Come home and cover the southern border, maybe then our own government will take some long overdue action that majority of Americans wanted for decades, that is to secure our own borders... I will support you for your efforts covering our southern border.
v/r
ran

# Robert 2011-11-17 05:39
New Jersey, but Mexico is a close second. God speed Michael Yon!

Robert

# Robert 2011-11-17 06:04
We've got to protect our *own* borders! I'd love to see you cover the abject failures of the feds to close our own border, while spending trillions in the middle east.

+3 # bmw5st 2011-11-17 07:07
My vote is undoubtedly biased, as my husband is currently deployed in Afghanistan, but I hope you choose to continue providing us with updates on our brave soldiers there. While our Southern border is a huge threat to America, we need you to ensure that our troops are safe. For example, without your dispatches, we would never have known about the procedural failures in Army MEDEVAC deployment, and consequently, the progress that we have already made in addressing the issue would not exist. Until our soldiers are sent to the Mexican border, I pray that you remain in Afghanistan...

# jgalt.texas 2011-11-17 07:35
I see the Mexican border as much more personally dangerous to you. While the IED risk is incredible while out on patrol the terrorists probably are not able to freely go wherever they want. That argument worked better when you were embedded and lived on a mostly secure base. Here in Texas the drug scum can go and do whatever they want wherever they want as many of them are US Citizens. I would like the problems on the border exposed. I have personally heard stories of drug trains/air drops on border ranches and of people not being able to use their property. If you do decide to cover the border issue I hope you have cover identities to live under while you work. Take Care.

+2 # texas guest 2011-11-17 08:49
Reading you regularly as I do, and being a Central Texan, I would love for you to move to San Antonio, which is a huge home of many in our military services. That said, Tucson would put you in the purview of Davis-Monthan AFB and close to one of our stellar squadrons of CSARs, who you care for and who love you. Either way, please cover the war on our southern border. We need the truth and support!

+2 # Tyler 2011-11-17 09:14
I think your reporting from Afghanistan is invaluable only because it is so poignant and powerful. The border issues we have been having have been too long ignored. Such a dangerous and dark situation needs someone who is not afraid to report boldly on the truth. My vote is a move to El Paso. It will allow you to cover the border from a central location. Please, if you come, BE LOUD. It is going to take a lot to dig our leader's heads out of the sand!

-2 # JTrevino 2011-11-17 09:24
Come to the border, Laredo, Texas, it just as safe, if not safer than San Antonio, Dallas or New York. Just don't cross the border

+2 # Tammy Keys 2011-11-17 14:29
Having lived in CA San Diego area (50 mi.from border) and with family military members (1 w/border patrol years ago in NM and one w/NG for 2 mission on CA border) I can only say it's a nightmare. The press only started reporting a few years ago on the horrors and corruption, keeping it from the American People. With Arizona's new immigration law crackdown it finally brought it to the peoples attention. Nat'l Parks you can no longer feel safe in or border highways used as drug highways along with mountain areas for pot growing by cartels. Many of our big wildfires caused by their growing pot on our parks land. They have been kidnapping folks in San Diego now, not just in Phoenix and MX. There are total towns in MX that are Chinese - we never hear about that stuff they've been coming in for years. It does need exposure they won't hesitate crossing the border to put a stop to it. They killed some teachers because they wanted their paychecks. That got a little press. Our NG couldn't even go into border towns because there were bounties on them at one point. People who have not lived close to the border, because of lack of press (we now live in Central TX) have no clue what danger lies ahead unless this is controlled. It will take an administration that doesn't want chaos for it to change, sadly we currently don't have one.

Tammy Keys

+1 # Brandon Freitas 2011-11-17 17:16
Yes, Michael! I vote YES!!! I know where you should start...I have family in Texas...Laredo would be a good start because as someone stated above, going over the border is like entering the warzone straight away! Securing our borders and knocking out that enemy down there is priority!! Come HOME!

Brandon Freitas
Veterans of Modern Warfare

# Wade 2011-11-17 18:13
Yes! I live in Arizona and the danger is very close and is spilling over. We need this situation dealt with.

+2 # Johnny Campbell 2011-11-17 19:22
Would love to hear your take on the border and maybe you need some time back in the States for your self. Hate to not have your coverage over there. But it sounds like a good move. Johnny

+2 # Doug 2011-11-17 21:06

More information on the USA and dangers NEAR and far.

Did the far thing, lets see some NEAR

+6 # dcfont 2011-11-18 10:24
You are the only one I trust, (not the government, military nor the press) to provide an honest report of what's going on in Afghanistan. Is it worth the price we are paying in human injuries and life? Is it worth the cost we are paying in dollars? Is it worth it to the Afghanistan people? I know thes are simple questions and there are never simple answers.
If you can give up more of your time to cover the situation in Afghanistan, that would be my vote and supperted by my donations. If Afghanistan is overall, a lost cause, then come home. Take care.

-1 # Elyse 2011-11-18 12:36
Yes! I would love to see you report about the border.

# houstonpatriot 2011-11-18 14:29
Yes I would like to see you on our southern boarder!

# Xristos 2011-11-18 16:22
Time to protect the home front...

-1 # Ann R 2011-11-19 00:21
Texas is the place to be...and you will be in good company, home of Fort Hood, Texas Rangers, Dallas Cowboys, Texas A&M, remember the Alamo, a growing economy, its own energy grid, Dell computers, NASA, melting pot to rival New York, well known tele-evangelist s John Hagee and Joel Osteen, soon to be home of controversial Glenn Beck, the Bushes, drought stricken lands, John Kennedy assisination, tornado alley, hurricanes...:- )

+4 # ray 2011-11-19 16:39
You are doing more good, and will be safer, in Afghanistan.

# Robert Burrichter 2011-11-19 21:31
I am with you either choice.

-1 # jeanne priest 2011-11-20 02:52
You Michael are best suited to the "real" war zones of Pakistan (yes the frontier) and Afghanistan.
Do not compromise your integrity just because of filthy lucre.

Jeanne Priest

# Glenn Warren 2011-11-20 07:16
Your reporting is of such a high quality and depth that your participation in any theater would be to the benefit of our combat fighters and their support both politically and socially. God knows how f*@#ed up our southern border is; not only with the hordes of illegal aliens, human and drug smugglers, but worse political corruption and inaction. Shinning your light of truth would certainly expose the cock roaches and get you into mortal trouble, all to the benefit of the American patriot; but, what would our troops do without your journalistic support in Afghanistan? Thank you for your service; God be with you. Glenn

-1 # Eileen Brannan 2011-11-20 10:24
Michael, I believe that there is a huge need for people to know what is happening here on US soil as well as Afghanistan from a reliable source such as yourself. Having you over there has allowed the people to see firsthand how things truely arare and has bought about more awareness and support for our soldiers. I believe that our border police are manned,underapp reciated and undersupplied and that the only way they will recieve the necessary support etc is to bring thier story to the american public. As stated by others in their comments; it is a very dangerous mission you would be undertaking having opposition from both Mexico and the US Gov't but one that is extremely necessary to bring about change . I will supp you no matter which choice you make but i tend to be leaning towards the Border. Thank you for all you have done and continue to do..God Bless you and keep you safe......Eilee n

# Jake 2011-11-21 19:07
I would not want to take away any benefit that our soldiers may gain by your drawing attention to issues that may otherwise go unnoticed by those back in the states, however there certainly is a "real and present danger" in the states backyard. I would certainly support efforts "back home" if and when i could.

Be well, and warmest regards.

Jake

# Luke 2011-11-21 21:15
Personally I think you should stay in the war zone. I find more attention is already put on the border war. And to say it is more dangerous is wrong. For Mexican police and soldiers perhaps but for American citizens,police and reporters I have serious doubts about it being more dangerous physically

# Mike 2011-11-22 21:11
Mexico, you deserve a cerveza.

# Alex 2011-11-22 22:27
If I could Yell it I would:

*ahem*

"Dr. Paul" is who I will vote for.

# Cody Silva 2011-11-23 09:56
I vote yes. Much of the American media/ politicians chooses to ignore the threat to the US from our southern neighbors. We need you services Michael. More attention is desperately needed before it's too late!

# Marc Denny 2011-11-23 10:12
« Reply #776 on: Today at 04:27:39 AM »

Armed illegals stalked Border Patrol

Mexicans were ‘patrolling’ when agent was slain, indictment says
by Jerry Seper
The Washington Times
Tuesday, November 22, 2011

+1 # Matt Reprogle 2011-11-23 22:54
I vote Yes to Mexican border. I feel you have done a superb job covering Iraq and Afghanistan and have done great service for the people deployed, and that story does need to be told. Unfortunately, there is only one of you, and the so-called news organizations don't have your credibility (or cojones).

However, at this time the situation at the border is escalating and again the reporting is poor and slanted. We have utter debacles like Fast and Furious that are scarcely being reported, let alone examined in depth. The only fear I have is you will be targeted by the cartels. Whatever you do, stay safe.

# RE: What is Your Vote?I. Moreno 2012-02-08 05:55
I'd like to accompany you to into Mexico Michael. I am a fluent Spanish speaker and am very interested in what's going on in Mexico right now;especially considering my home base is AZ.

# RE: What is Your Vote?Rudy 2013-10-29 13:13