We Need Better Pants

Pants-2-1000

30 August 2011
Kandahar Province, Afghanistan
Task Force Spartan

Rip, rend and slash are all in a day’s work here.  Yet I have never seen so many troops with so many pairs of pants that are ready to fall off.

Pants-3-1000

Last week this mortar crew was firing at some people who were trying to kill us.  We have plenty of ammo.  No complaints there.  On the larger bases, the gyms are outstanding.  The dining facilities have ice cream.  Our troops are supremely outfitted and resourced, and so this missive is specific in nature and not a general resourcing indictment.  Generally speaking, we are good to go in Afghanistan, other than never having had enough troops and aviation having been an issue at times and places.  But overall, no complaints on the way units are outfitted.  Five stars.  The outfitting is so good that it’s embarrasing to complain.  My tent has airconditioner.  The showers have hot water.  I live far rougher (other than the bombs and bullets) on some of my vacations.  That’s a fact.  But since we are talking about pants in combat, it’s worthwhile to say something.

Pants-1000Combat operations last week: body bags make okay sleeping bags.

The troops need better pants.  For every ripped image here, I’ve seen many others.  Usually the troops will duct tape their pants together, or sew when time permits.  When your pants rip at midnight and you still have hours to move before sunlight, you might be wearing shorts and sporting bleeding legs before there is a chance to sew.  I saw one troop who had sewn his trousers with parachute cord.  (Must have used a knife for a needle.)

2011-07-31-121817-1000

The End

Comments

# scarface 2011-08-30 14:01
WTF...you cannot send warriors out without proper equipment! Even Obama has to know that!

# Prufrock 2011-08-30 14:03
These guys sure use them hard. Unsurprising.

Are there available solutions that would solve the problem, without leading to supply-line problems or increasing pack weight/decreasi ng breathability? I sure see the justification, but is this a wish or something that could be rolled out with the proper will?

Surely it's not cost, considering that a day's ammo probably cost more than a year's pants.

+2 # RE: We Need Better PantsPrufrock 2011-08-30 14:05
Quoting scarface:

While I understand the sentiment -- I don't think he's running the sewing machines, if you get my drift. Procurement...

# Prufrock 2011-08-30 14:12
Looking at the photos again -- the major source of failure seems to be around the inner thigh seam, probably from crouching and running.

Seems like a crotch gusset and some extra stitching could solve most of the problems. The other photo, with a broken beltloop and some small tears is normal wear. Anyone figures out how to keep beltloops attached is up for a Nobel. Eventually, they just tear loose from the base cloth.

Hey -- fund the new pants and build awareness. Ship combat-used pants back before they're a complete loss and sell at a premium as a fashion line... "War Shots" or something like that.

'Course, if they're dropping hotshots of water and ammo together, I doubt pants are high on the priority list.

# Kevin W. Moon 2011-08-30 14:13
Ingenious idea to provide ventilation. If Texas doesn't cool down soon, I might rip my own pants.

# A&N 2011-08-30 14:16
Maybe if we citizens could use our tax dollars to buy pants and other necessities for our troops instead of paying for expensive vacations for Obama and other politicians in DC our money would be better spent. Also maybe some of our tax dollars need to be redistributed to the families of our fallen men in this country instead of to Afghanistan where it is stolen there by our enemies. His name was Jake...Mike...J ust another number to most but a dear friend to us. You are a good friend Mr. Yon...thanks for what you do. Take care....no more wasted lives please.

# Peter 2011-08-30 14:18
Thanks Miohael. Such a simple thing. We have good Kevlar, can we give our troops better pants, Or send over bridges of Grandmas to do the sewing! How are the boots fareing? I must say, the modern combat boot is a LOT better than when I was in, say, back in Civil War!

# A&N 2011-08-30 14:20
He knows...He doesn't care.

# Terie 2011-08-30 14:34
Is there any thing I can personally do to get any combat pants to some troops?

# Terie 2011-08-30 14:37
I totally agree!!!

+1 # RE: We Need Better PantsLorenzo Poe 2011-08-30 14:39
The ACofS said that SMA Preston should be remembered for the ACU, so let be written. So let it be done, just like Shinseki and the damn black beret. worthless POS.

# David 2011-08-30 14:41
I would like to know the country of origin for these pants. Are the made in the USA. If they are then shame on them. If they are made elsewhere then shame on us.
PS. Michael, the 234th over at FOB Ramrod is waiting for a visit from you, maybe you could spend a coule of weeks running with them too.
Stay Safe

# AZ Angel 2011-08-30 14:53
After 10 years and several versions, they still can't get it right! Bring em home!

# Snow Man 2011-08-30 14:59
Since when has the military been issuing plaid boxers like those worn by the soldier in the topmost picture? I'd have figured they'd be more like those worn by the soldier in the bottom picture.

BTW, I love use of the cargo pants pocket for a bottle. It seems I do have something in common with soldiers.

# PineBaroness 2011-08-30 15:00
Ohhhhh. I keep thinking about the moms and wives of these fine men and what they would think to see them grinning away in torn pants. As a mom myself, I want to get in there and sew those rips up :-)

# HeartlessLibertarian 2011-08-30 15:08
Pants ripping in the field - especially that rip up the inseam - is not a new problem. I've seen pants ripped like that on just about every field problem and deployment I've been on, going back to CTLT at Ft Drum in 1995.

Multi-cam, ACU, DCU, BDU, makes no difference. Only ones I've never seen tear like that were the old heavy or 'winter weight' cloth BDUs. And I wouldn't want to wear those in the heat in Af-stan or Iraq.

I think the solution would be to expand the reinforcing patch that currently covers the backside part of the crotch (visible in the pic of the sleeping troop) to overlap the inseam over both legs, down the knee, by about 2-3". Could get tricky, because you don't want to cover up the fly.

# Timothy Roesch 2011-08-30 15:08
You know, this would make an interesting book idea for students...do a photo story about wear and tear with experiments students can do to test fabrics, stitches, materials etc...

# Mo 2011-08-30 15:14
This is disgusting.. we can pay for millions of soldiers to go to war and die for our country but not buy a decent pair of pants??

WTF

# Frank Burt 2011-08-30 15:15
This could certainly put a damper on going "Commando" over there. I would hate to have my nasties flapping in the breeze during a firefight. It can't have a very good effect on our image amongst the locals either. That said, I think it's awfully petty for some readers to be pointing fingers at the Commander-in-Ch ief regarding this. The blame lies with someone much lower on the food chain. There are plenty of other legitimate faults to blame him for without using this. So let's find out who really dropped the ball with procurement and fix the problem.

# Brian 2011-08-30 15:24
Michael, everyone knows that when you take a knee and are all sweaty, eventually those FRACUs are going to rip. Sooner rather than later. Amazes me that we pay that much for a set of pants (seriously, FRACUs are EXPENSIVE!) and they can't keep my equipment stowed for more than a few missions. What makes me smile is that you put up pictures with guys wearing underwear. Most dudes I know don't wear them in the field. ;-) I once tore my pants from butt-crack to knee-cap on a jump and spent the rest of the night in the breeze, so to speak.

# TexasTJ 2011-08-30 15:35
Did these pants failures start occurring with the change from ACUs to the new multi-cam? I'm not saying the cammo pattern is to blame, but perhaps a change to the fabric spec as well.

# A&N 2011-08-30 15:44
If it isn't the Commander-in-Ch ief's duty to keep our men supplied with "everything" they need then what is his job...to take credit for their heroic acts and victories and do photo ops and ignor those supply lines? Maybe you don't understand the duties of the office.

# gary mayes 2011-08-30 15:49
need to get duluth firehose pants for the troops, well worth the money.

# Will C 2011-08-30 16:22
As HeartlessLibert arian commented above the basic problem may be fabric weight. Lighter fabric just doesn't wear as well as heavier stuff. Combat uniforms must withstand some severe environments (Duh!) and be lightweight enough to wear in hot climates. Lots of sweat and infrequent washing also takes it's toll. Some design changes, such as suggested in other posts, might help the situation. Give some credit to the Army folks who specify and test uniforms and equipment-they want the best for our Soldiers, too.

# Neatie 2011-08-30 16:31
The pants are just a symptom ... indicating a disease...like no plan to win this war...throwing our money down a rat hole to change a country that isn't going to change and to win hearts and minds of those who hate us. Remember why we are there? Incompetence and ignorance of our CC and maybe even more is the problem...the pants are just another reminder of what is going on...and it isn't good. Our men are the best...they are the good guys and they sure don't deserve what they are getting...being made sitting ducks for the politician's benefit. What do you suppose we do about the pants problem Mike? Love to hear it if you have a solution...besi des getting someone in charge of supplying our men with all they need in the job. The CC is on TV right now making a big Ike speech to the veterans about all he's done for them...The applause is faint.

# Leyla Najma 2011-08-30 16:33
Guys are rough on clothes but in the environment these guys are in there is no telling what they go through. But it does look sexy!

# Mike L 2011-08-30 16:40
Johnny, I believe all of these are pictures of US troops, even the Air Force guy with no Flag patch on the bottom.

Having spent my career in coveralls, I can vouch that the finest fabric in the world, save for something that doesn't breathe, is going to rip...and going to rip right there. Duct tape sewing is unfortunately the general solution, until later. I do like the idea of giving this problem to some HS/College students and seeing if they can design a better pant. Or better yet, give it to Under Armor...I'm sure they could figure something out.

# Mike L 2011-08-30 16:43
Yeah...the Air Force Controller is showing his left shoulder. No Flag patch there. As I was...

+1 # Old Grunt 2011-08-30 16:59
For the raving loons above this has very little to do with the Commander in Chief. In my own experiance we (meaning Grunts) have been ripping out the crotch inseam of our uniforms since President Regan was in office. If you want to beat your politics go home and flap your jaws.

The comment above about speedballing water and ammo in reflects reality. Your out on a long op with minimal supplies its hard to rustle up a spare set of breechs. Sleep in the dirt, crawl in the dirts, sweat, kneel, sweat, run, sweat and jump. Then repeat for days in what ever guuci pants you have and eventualy you will blow out the crotch.

Did you miss the part about: "The outfitting is so good that it’s embarrasing to complain." :-*

+1 # Roch Thornton 2011-08-30 17:00
It's not the president's job to get involved in military clothing issues. That's why we have platoons of generals sitting around the Pentagon. Schwarzkopf saw the need for better boots in Desert Storm and made it happen. Michael has done his part in spotlighting the problem. Now some general needs to take the ball and run with it.

# Jerry 2011-08-30 17:05
One of the reasons that some soldiers intentionally tear their pants on the inside inseam, is so that they can relieve themselves without having to unbutton and/or remove equipment. :-*

# John - Capt in ANG 2011-08-30 17:05
I posted this a few months ago in another thread. Troops behind the wire their entire tour wear them out just from sitting in a chair. Any deployed troop here with more than a few months will have faded, unserviceable (in my opinion) pants regardless of inside or outside the wire.

# Old Grunt 2011-08-30 17:06
98% of the time it happens when you take a knee and the sweaty material clings to your thigh tensioning it in one direction, while the seam is tensioned by your toshee going in the other direction and the material rips along the material next to the seam, not the seam itself.

# Jim Tuttle 2011-08-30 17:43
I think they should go back to the old ripstock or cotton like we had in Vietnam. Yes, the pants would deteriorate, but after submersion in Nam's mud and jungle heat for awhile. The stuff was much better than our soldiers have now though not as pretty....

+1 # Brian 2011-08-30 18:06
Please, injecting politics here is asinine. We're talking about pants! The CinC didn't issue my pants, the supply system did.

I've torn BDUs, ACUs, FRACUs, AC2Us, etc. in the same way. Every set of BDUs I took to Ranger school was sewn up in the crotch by the time it was over. You get guys with big legs (especially big thighs), and those pants will rip out constantly.

# Old Grunt 2011-08-30 18:12
Been in the ripstops and bared the future family to the world. Certain body types are the ones that have this issue the most, ie folks with big thighs from doing squats, or genetics, ect.

# Tommy Barrios 2011-08-30 18:37
From the field comes the truth and real insight as to the problem.

Once the guys and gals in the procurement chain figure out the best solution it will be fielded, it may take a whole career for it to get fielded though, seeing how slow the system responds to such issues! 8)

# Tommy Barrios 2011-08-30 18:42
I wonder if the Taliban have these same clothing issues :-*

I hear they have the latest in running foot wear 8)

# Rich W 2011-08-30 18:50
Calm down folks, there have been issues with pants in the field as long there have been soldiers (even back to roman days!). Heck back in early 80s with Reagan as Pres we were ripping & ruining our camos out in field, and that was during peace time.

I'm not an Obama supporter by any stretch of the imagination, but this isn't his fault or problem IMO. It's an issue for the commanders/pent agon to deal with - if they feel they need to.

# RR 2011-08-30 20:02
it's seriously not that difficult to sew those back up. I realize that they may indeed need new/more pants but in the meantime, the soldiers should be able to repair these themselves. a simple sewing kit with a needle and some thread are all you need. sewing up holes in your clothes is a very easy, simple, necessary survival skill, were these guys never taught it or they just don't think of it? Why replace the entire pant when all it needs is 10 minutes, a needle, and a yard of thread? why does no one have the common sense to just repair them as needed? It's not necessary to suddenly have a fit about passing out more pants or making them differently. Just need to get some sewing kits and take 5 minutes to tell the guys how to take care of it themselves is all.

# Zulu36 2011-08-30 20:21
I was ripping up utility trousers from 1971 - 1998, both in the military and as a SWAT officer. Stuff happens in the field. I think someone should double-check the quality assurance process, of course, just to make certain crap isn't being intentionally produced. Otherwise, I'd just suggest that there be extras in supply for a trade when necessary and make sure the troops have a housewife available in the field for on the spot repairs.

# Martha Brown 2011-08-30 21:00
My 15 year old son used to rip his jeans exactly the same way, he had large thighs from doing farm work. I was always taking pants to him at school when they did rip out.

# Brad 2011-08-30 22:35
No, the ACU started it. In fact the current pant includes some updates because it was such a major issue with the ACU.

There is a new "Combat Pant" coming similar to the Crye Precision pant that should be even better. I like Michael a lot, but he left some info out here and left some of you commenters expressing thoughts that are already well known by the military and have been or are being addressed.

# Brad 2011-08-30 22:38
I think maybe you don't understand the President's role. I am in the Army. My pants rip. I'm no Obama supporter, and I would never expect the President to do something about this. Its a construction and fabric issue. I'm pretty alright with the leader of the free world not trifling with such issues.

# Brad 2011-08-30 22:40
Yes, all parts of a Soldier's basic uniform like this are going to be made in the US.

# mech 2011-08-31 00:12
Recommend cotton duck or cotton twill, talk to a pants manufacturer like "Dickies"...... or Levi's. They have been making pants for years. or a permanent press blend. Quit spending money on what does not work.

mech

# Jim 2011-08-31 02:21
Knowing how things are done in DC these days, the trousers were probably made in China.

# Robi Akerley-McKee 2011-08-31 02:54
It's the design of the trousers. They need a bellows gather/pleat above the knees on the front and more ease on the thigh. So when you take a knee you don't stress the fabric on the front of the thigh inseam. On my BDU's I'd take out the seams from just above the knee to the bottom and add a 1" bellows pleat (2 1/4" per side //. I worked on the firing range and was always blowing out inseams kneeling net to students until I did that.

# Jeff 2011-08-31 04:55
The subcontractors who made them along with any other companies interested in a contract need to spend some time looking at how the rips occur and THEY should spend the time figuring out how to prevent them (as much as possible). Send them to the boot camps, the Ranger schools, the Special Forces schools and let them figure it out. It will obviously be an issue of how much money can we spend on a pair vs. what is the replacement cost for several pairs. I work outdoors and have much of the same issues with jeans....some are made to take a beating and others are not. If you spend more, they may last longer, but if I am spending a lot of time crossing barbed wire, I'd almost prefer to have a cheaper pair that is for practical purposes disposable. I am sure that good ol' American ingenuity and know-how can solve this....

# Violette 2011-08-31 10:29
Boys laugh !

# Larry Mullane 2011-08-31 14:14
Going back to WWII there have always been trouser issues. Look at any pics of the Marines in Viet Nam and you will see numerous grunts with torn or badly worn out utility trousers. The problem is that they never are washed and the material breaks down after all the dirt and sweat works on them for a few weeks. Troops in the field would much rather be resupplied with ammo, mail, water, etc. than trousers (if my memory still serves me). I know a former 1st Lt. who served with 2nd Bn. 5th Marines who wore the same raggedy assed trousers for two months in the bush.

# simonferrer 2011-08-31 15:22
The new multicams are essentially still ACUs with just a new camo pattern, and hence have the same problems the ACUs did. The Army apparently forgot 20 years of development w/the BDU, and when the ACU came out they made it with flimsy material and particularly cheap thread. Crotch "blowouts" [among many other material and/or manufacturing failures] were and are common w/the ACU, and apparently they have not fixed the problem w/the multicams issued in Afghanistan. By contrast, the Afghan National Army [at least until they came out w/their own digital pattern uniform] was issued U.S. surplus temperate-weigh t BDUs. While hot and heavyweight when compared to the ACU, the temperate BDU is almost indestructible. Some serious consideration should be given to this fact when the Army develops the replacement for the ACU.

# Joe Myers 2011-08-31 18:18
Hey Yon,
I have the answer to a better pair of pants. Actually so much better that you won't believe it. I am a professional tree climber. My pants cost nearly $200 a pair, and take much more of a beating than my BDUs did back in my service days. I buy two pairs at a time, and wear them a day or two before throwing them in the wash. Two pairs last approx. 6 years of grueling abuse before I'll finally get a tear, and usually then it's minor, but I retire them because any repair, stitching will causes chaffing to my legs.
These are awesome. Absolutely awesome...and the comfort level beats the hell out of anything else.

# JimV 2011-08-31 18:46
It was a problem then. It's a problem now. It need not be. Cheapest bidder.

# Capn Les 2011-09-01 07:05
REI should be their outfitter. Ask for loose fit camo jeans.

# Suzy 2011-09-01 15:00
Quoting Prufrock:
Quoting scarface:

Yet Bush was supposed to be on top of EVERYTHING when he was in office?? He was personally blamed for anything the soldiers didn't have, so guess what...Obama might as well be personally sitting at the sewing machine, because he isn't doing ANYTHING else except sinking us further into a financial hole!

# simonferrer 2011-09-01 15:17
Quoting RR:

The Army has never taught sewing to soldiers, and even if they did, it's not possible to take off and sew up your pants while you're occupied on a mission, which is usually when you get the blowout. That aside, the material in the ACU is so flimsy that they defy stitches, and rip from the weight of the thread a few days after they've been repaired.

# RR 2011-09-01 20:23
If you issued all soldiers a simple sewing kit with instructions, they would be able to hand-sew repairs themselves while on missions. it is not necessary to have a sewing machine or be on base for it, it's very easy and doesn't take much time. Granted, they might break the stitches again, but it would be something. And sewing kits cost very little. perhaps we should be adding them to care packages as well.

PS lol at the bottom pic, peepshow time!

# Walter F 2011-09-01 20:27
I hope and believe that the producer is already working on a fix to the pants issue. Saw a story on the company that makes the cloth and seem to be good people. It is nice to hear that the troops have what they need and that ripped pants is the issue and not vehicle and body armor. I do wonder how long you have to be out in the field to decide that a body bag makes a good sleeping bag? Leave it to the GI to come up with a good use for everything they can lay their hands on.

# susan 2011-09-01 23:33
Evidence that your pleas were heard. Good for you, Michael!

# Brendan Doran 2011-09-02 01:02
Well Hello Mr Wiggly!! :-x

this isn't news to those of us who had the first generation ACU's. It's why soldiers started wearing boxers after going commando for a generation at least (that's for chafing and hygiene reasons, not social).

+1 # RE: We Need Better PantsRod82nd 2011-09-02 01:43
Quoting A&N:
Maybe if we citizens could use our tax dollars to buy pants and other necessities for our troops instead of paying for expensive vacations for Obama and other politicians in DC our money would be better spent. Also maybe some of our tax dollars need to be redistributed to the families of our fallen men in this country instead of to Afghanistan where it is stolen there by our enemies. His name was Jake...Mike...Just another number to most but a dear friend to us. You are a good friend Mr. Yon...thanks for what you do. Take care....no more wasted lives please.

# James McConnell 2011-09-02 02:24
Different war, same problem. I hope the boots are better. The new body armor is too heavy to even believe, let alone wear.

# Suzy 2011-09-02 02:27

# Suzy 2011-09-02 02:28
OOPS, Michelle has taken 50 vacation DAYS, not vacations

# Mary Cook 2011-09-02 03:16
Darn! Those pics are the most fun I've had since hubby deployed!

# Bob Hankinson 2011-09-02 04:56
even in the UK, the people have heard about the pants: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2032891/New-U-S-Army-uniform-recalled-soldiers-complain-ripping-pants.html
Sound slike quick action to rectify a problem.

# William M 2011-09-02 07:09
I was a tanker in the first Gulf War and had this happen to all my BDU pants once we got in theater and on our tanks. I sized my BDUs in garrison a size smaller or more than I probably should have because it looked better to have a slimmer look. The problem never revealed itself during regular field training exercises. Only after getting out of the Army and being exposed to civilian experiences in long distance hiking and shooting disciplines did I realize how poorly the Army had prepared me to operate as a soldier, from even something as basic as uniform sizing, to piss poor, minimal small arms training, to how to properly use and carry LBE and the Alice pack, to proper foot care, etc.

# John Stephens 2011-09-04 20:48
I did OSUT at Benning back in '81. Everyone was expected to buy a sewing kit, and to know how to sew on buttons and close up split seams. If this is no longer the case, perhaps it should be?

# Gismofly 2011-09-05 09:37
Finally, the case for khaki shorts....like what the Brits used to wear before they became shy!

All the best, Mike.

-1 # Rod82nd 2011-09-07 07:03
Quoting Suzy:
Wasn't Bush the president with the statistically the most vacations ever? http://www.factcheck.org/2010/01/president-obamas-vacation-days/ The difference is, Bush went to his own ranch house MOST of those vacation days and the taxpayers weren't footing the bill for $50K/week beach houses. Just as the spinners were touting that Obama was on a "working vacation" last week (golfing and playing on the beach with his kids) Bush also spent time working on vacation days in Crawford! Michelle Obama has taken over 50 taxpayer funded vacations this year...and has taken her extended family and friends along, at taxpayer expense. Why don't you fact check to see if GWB did that too? No, I won't fact check that. You fact check it and post it here. Please use reputable news services/source s.

# FTM29 2011-09-07 13:12
My great Uncle was a soldier in New Guinea in WW2. He said that their pants fell apart too. He blamed it on the fact that they were constantly wet from rain and/or sweat and just rotted apart. The blouses were no so bad but the green twill was the woest material at that time for that problem.

# RGRBOXMike Box 2014-01-10 13:57
Michael, this isn't new to any of us who've served int eh Infantry. I don't have any idea except to maybe issue more pants too troops and up the supply channel. Problem is that pants don't break in your duffel bag, but while your on mission wearing them. I read where NATAK was working on this problem, and using materials like light weight wool. Sounds like a good idea. Wool trousers seem to work great! And they don't loose their colour, and are fire resistant. also stays warm when wet, and dries quickly. The Supply Chain is very important, and troops need to keep an eye out on the quality of their equipment. for some reason uniforms have always been less a priority over other items. You will always find fault and defects in trousers. I can still remember the OG107's rotting off of us in the Jungle. and the first generation of the rip-stop cotton BDUs were light in weight, but crap in quality. Thanks for reporting this issue. an issue that will never go away.. That's why troopers carry 100 MPH tape.. :)