Verbal assaults directed at uniformed [military] personnel

Washington D.C.

Dept of Transportation Federal Transit Administration sends:

Recently, there have been local incidents in which military personnel have been verbally assaulted while commuting on the Metro. Uniformed members have been approached by individuals expressing themselves as anti-government, shouting anti-war sentiments, and using racial slurs against minorities.

In one instance, a member was followed onto the platform by an individual who continued to berate her as she exited the
metro station. Thus far, these incidents have occurred in the vicinity of the Reagan National Airport and Eisenhower Ave metro stations on the yellow line, however, military members should be vigilant and aware of their surroundings at all times while in mass transit.

Should you be approached by any individuals expressing anti-government/anti-war sentiments, or any other types of direct verbal assault, immediately notify your local police jurisdiction. If riding metro, exit the train at the next stop, distance yourself from the individual, and notify the Metro Transit Police Department.

For this and any other suspicious activity, NGB personnel are also asked to notify the Pentagon Command Center at (703)697-1001, and the NGB Antiterrorism/Force Protection Officer, MSgt Cyril Charity, at (703)607-2396 or (571)239-1109 (after duty hours).

Here are a few friendly reminders of personal protective measures that can help you to stay safe:

-If possible, do not commute in uniform (military members) -Do not display DoD building passes, "hot cards", or personal identification in open view outside of the workplace -Do not discuss specifics about your occupation to outside solicitors

-Always try to remain in well lit, well populated train cars if traveling via metro -Be vigilant at all times!

V/R,

National Operations Center

Update: Austin Bay has more on the topic: http://austinbay.net/blog/?p=1889

Comments

# hoffman 2008-05-21 07:34
wow, if I thought my blood was boiled by the last post. . .
How tragic and down right wrong! Lord, have mercy!
Those jerks can just get themselves a one way ticket to Siberia, or, if it suits them better Iran, China. . .
My most hearty thanks to those who sacrifice on our behalf!

# RobertT1 2008-05-21 11:19
It's too bad that one of the suggestions in the list is "do not commute in uniform". That should have never been in there.

# Letalis Maximus, Esq. 2008-05-21 11:20
I have been telling people for at least 3 years now that anti-war "activists" would be spitting on soldiers in airports again before this thing is over. This is what they do when they aren't getting their way: they up the ante and ratchet up their activities to a more and more violent level. What's next? Bombing the Blue Line Pentagon stops?

# Salamantis 2008-05-21 11:27
Could the US Military co-ordinate with police to have decoys who are dressed in military uniforms but are actually police ride the metros, and arrest anyone who assaults them in this manner? They only do this sort of thing because they think they can get away with it, and so far, they apparently have been, a situation that should be expeditiously rectified.

# R.B. Phiilips 2008-05-21 11:43
I was recently on the Metro at night after a big banquet of military and civilians broke up. It was standing room only. I watched a 10-year old girl with her tourist family looking with wonder at all the uniformed personnel (all branches) as if they were superheroes. It sure seemed a high point of that family's trip.

Regardless of the hour or place, accosting uniformed military seems a good way to have me do some amateur dental work (i.e., allow the offender to spit out some "chiclets.")

# chris fountain 2008-05-21 11:53
Just back from x-country trip, NYC to SF, and glad to report that uniformed soldiers seemed to still be treated with respect (and grattitude, on my part). Maybe there is something in the water in D.C., just as I've always suspected.

# Fen 2008-05-21 12:47
I live in the DC area and ride metro. I'm also a former Marine, not bound by Pentagon enablers.

God help these anti-military weasels if I ever witness such an event. It only takes 3 psi to rip off an earlobe.

Semper Fi

# Rachel 2008-05-21 12:50
If only a member of the military could get away with responding, "You're welcome. For the right to be so crude and ungrateful."

People could go shop at their local Army surplus, learn how to donn those BDUs properly, and ride the subways themselves in a show of support. Could be interesting and educational, and so many targets could confuse the 'verbal terrorists'.

You want to be anti-war? Great. Go after the descision-maker s and the terrorists, not the military personell.

# Diggs 2008-05-21 12:50
When I was stationed at Belvoir, I'd often ride the Metro from Huntington into the Pentagon. I was always in uniform, since it was work related, and during work hours. Sometimes it's unavoidable to be on the Metro in uniform. Suggesting soldier do otherwise is called retreat.
The right to self defense doesn't end when one puts on a uniform. I'd love to see a soldier (Marine, airman, sailor) punch the lights out on someone "verbally assaulting" them. Have it go to court. Have the person publicly testify in court what they said, and why. The anti-war person won't be shamed, of course, as there is no shame left for those on the Left, but their name will be permanently attached to their actions, instead of the anonymity they now have.

# truthnmerci 2008-05-21 12:52
...is that it doesn't sound like any one stepped in between this person and the (female)Soldier to stop him. Do we think he would have done it if it was a male in uniform?

I think the least we can do is be alert and ready when we are in public with our Heroes in Uniform. They stand in harms way for us all over the world, the least we can do is step in between them and someone disrespecting them here at HOME.

# Pierre Legrand 2008-05-21 12:59
What a wonderful political system we have. It forces hero's to hide and protects asshats. Perfect.

# Stacy 2008-05-21 13:05
Satisfying though it would be, I don't think beating these "protesters" is the best response. Argue with them. No need to be polite -- "hey a***, you ever think about the fact that without people like that soldier, you'd probably be getting beat up or sent to a labor camp for saying what you're saying? S/he and people like him/her have done such a good job for the last 200+ years that you don't even realize how good you have it. So either enjoy your freedom or go live in [Iran | China | Pakistan | Saudi Arabia | etc] for awhile and then tell me what you think"

# solidstate 2008-05-21 13:07
As a D.C. resident, I frequently see uniformed military personnel on the Metro. I've always wanted to thank them for their service, but didn't want to risk embarrassing them. Now that I've read this memo, I may just speak up anyway. I suspect many others feel the same, and I've never witnessed any odious behavior like that described in the memo. Undoubtedly it does happen. But please don't tar all of us D.C. folks with the same brush. The moonbats haven't taken over the nation's capital quite yet!

# truthnmerci 2008-05-21 13:11
LOL you are not a former Marine unless they kick you out.

Once a Marine, always a Marine.

If you don't read it already: onemarinesviewd otcom archive post 21 Oct 05 "The Oath". Excellent stuff!

# Scott B 2008-05-21 13:15
I ride the Metro here occasionally and there are often uniformed military on the trains. I think it's common enough that they get no special treatment. Perhaps that's unfortunate in itself but it's the nature of things around here. I've never seen a case of verbal assault or other negative behavior, even when the fruitloops have their peace marches.

I'm not suggesting it doesn't happen but it's more likely these were a "couple" of isolated incidents. It's a crying shame someone not in uniform didn't step in and take care of it but the whole of DC shouldn't be condemned either. It's not the epidemic it's being made out as.

# been there-done that 2008-05-21 13:17
dont' believe this. ride yellow line to Pentagon every day and have for years, and have never seen anything like this. I also don't believe that the Dept of Transportation would tell military members not to wear their uniforms. that would ONLY come from inside DOD. this is bogus.

# been there-done that 2008-05-21 13:25
just spent a lot of time searching the FTA web site and could not find anything even vaguely like this. could be my search skills, but I simply think this is a hoax. we get protesters here at the Pentagon every monday morning - and they are always respectful, if horribly misguided. what i see more often is people thanking others for their service. people here are very able to separate the person from the policy.
this is a hoax.

# JGI 2008-05-21 13:27
Hey Guys: your hearts are in the right place, but freedom of speech means freedom of stupid speech. The answer is not to physically strike anyone, but just take their picture and try to record their behavior. What we need is a searchable website which records this kind of thing for posterity, so that after spouting off to a service member, these people will forever after have to worry that potential employers will say "I'm sorry, but we don't believe you have the temperament to work for our firm."

I feel more comfortable when jerks are encouraged to identify themselves. If our guys in uniform are tough enough to stand al Qaida down, they can certainly handle the worst of the American Left. And we definitely need to see our guys in uniform as much as possible. Their presence elevates society.

# Mrs Greyhawk 2008-05-21 13:55
Geesh Michael, you're giving advice that is always given to military personell and Americans citizens (no us flag shirts) when they're visiting another country. But this is America, next will be that policeman can't where uniforms (due to recent bad publicity). And what should we do about some of those obvious jarhead haircuts.
I agree they should always stay vigilant and aware of their surroundings and in well populated areas, as should most people, but most folks have cell phones, if they are getting harrassed they can call those blue uniforms. If they're female I suggest a buddy system and mace. And maybe a little taiquando.

# g stubbs 2008-05-21 14:34
I ride both the blue and yellow lines to and from Pentagon every day. I have never seen anything like this, although I have seen some racially charged encounters that had nothing to do with military matters.

The sad part is that, were I (a wife and mother of military personnel) to witness something like this, I would (1) fear embarrassing the military person by "rescuing" them from a nutcase, or (2) fear for my own safety if the nutcase gets off at the same stop as I do.

Wear the uniform with pride, folks. A few sickos are not worth stowing away the symbols of our freedom.

# Phillep 2008-05-21 14:57
Keep those cam-corders handy. Document and preserve.

We want to be able to show that the politician running for office really did spit on the military.

# Garth 2008-05-21 15:45

And of course you ride it every minute of every day too, right? LOL, you didn't see it so it never happened.

# Fecal McStool 2008-05-21 15:52
I like to talk about stool.

# JTG 2008-05-21 16:00
While I suspect this is a hoax (I hope so, at least) it is instructive how the tide changes. As a sailor out of boot camp in the early 70's, we were not to travel in uniform on leave except change of station, as in boot camp to report to C school; but not on leave. I don't know if it was a rule per se, but the Chief Petty Officer certainly made it a point. SE Asia hangover, I suspect.

In the late 80's I wore USAF service dress to and from the DC area commercial air to a meeting at WRAIR and was treated with interest and respect - kids asking "Did I fly big planes" - alas, no. Several adults my age and older related their prior concerns about wearing their uniforms in public in the late 60's and early 70's - "glad it is safe for you now" was a comment I never forgot.

I truly hope this isn't some sort of wing nut generated swing back to the past.

# Pete R 2008-05-21 16:34
I work at an Air Force base, personnel here have been advised not to wear uniforms when travelling, particularly in certain liberal cities like SF. Sad but true.

# Bugs 2008-05-21 16:36
I ride the Blue and Yellow lines every day. Plenty of military personnel ride, too, and I've never seen an incident like the ones described here. It also doesn't appear that military personnel are taking any special precautions to avoid "incidents" with civilians. They are DEFINITELY still wearing their uniforms. Desert camo is much in evidence. I remember the atmosphere in the 70s when my father was required to wear a business suit rather than his uniform. As far as I can see, nothing similar is happening today.

A search of the FTA's website didn't turn up any memo of this nature. Google found only other blogs. Not saying this is a hoax - just that I'd like to see the official document before judging.

# ED Denson 2008-05-21 17:12
If you want to see the problem in its starkest terms, lets assume that the DOT document is real. Military personell are told "Should you be approached by any individuals expressing anti-government /anti-war sentiments, or any other types of direct verbal assault, immediately notify your local police jurisdiction." On its face this suggests a police state where any dissent is suppressed. Any individual in America is perfectly free to express anti-government or anti-war sentiments to any other person, and doing that is in no way a "direct verbal assault" or anything the police should be interested in or respond to. They should, however, respond to verbal threats made to military personell, or harassment of any individual by physically impeding them, or to reports of people creating a public nuisance by loud or boisterous behavior on the Metro or in any other public place. Lets assume that these extremes are what is meant to be reported, and hope for the best. To our leaders let me say that public opinion is increasingly strongly against your war, and the way you are conducting it, and if the reported incidents are true, you are causing further collateral damage to the people in the military by persisting in illegal and unsuccessful tactics. Give it up.

# James E. Davis 2008-05-21 17:40
After 35 years living in DC, I now live in Wisconsin. The air is much fresher here. I got thanked for my service , 46 years after discharge.

# Former Belgian 2008-05-21 17:44
The idea that soldiers would not be able to defend themselves against a bunch of smelly "p*ss activists" is of course laughable.

The real danger (to the soldiers) is that the soldiers let themselves be provoked into responding in kind. However much the malignant narcissist "anti-war" spoiled brats deserve this, it gives them (and their enablers in the media and the New Class in general) a handle for protracted judicial harassment. ("I called him a baby-killer and he called me a moronic *sshole. Waaaahhh! This is hate speech!")

Which leaves the soldiers only the line from an ancient Jewish prayer "and as for those who curse me, let my soul be silent".

# Sgt Will 2008-05-21 17:54
I live and work in Alexandria Virginia. I go through the Eisenhower Station everyday. I have never seen any incidents like this. Anyone who tired something like this in Alexandria at the Eisenhower station would get killed. That station is FULL of uniformed military personal, federal officers and security working the federal court right down the street.

As to the person who said that their husband road the Yellow Line from Ft Belvoir to the Pentagon. Try again. No metro line goes to Ft Belvoir. Only buses.

# cathyf 2008-05-21 19:39
I'd put my money that if any military have been accosted, it's been by mentally ill people, not war protesters. And I'd advise against knocking teeth out -- what if you slugged some guy for nothing more than rudeness, and then found out later that he was having hallucinations and thought he was standing up for the Federation against Darth Vader's minions? A little charity goes a long way, and it's always a good aim to try to under-react. That way if things turn out not to be as they seemed, you won't have to feel terrible about anything that you did.

# Cubicle Rat 2008-05-21 20:53
I commute via the DC Metro every day - 14 stops worth in each direction on the Red and Blue/Orange Lines. There are always uniformed military personnel on the trains and I have NEVER seen anything of this nature. What I have seen is people approach the service members and thank them for their service. There may been an isolated incident but nothing worth raising the hue and cry.

# thebronze 2008-05-21 20:53
truthnmerci said "LOL you are not a former Marine unless they kick you out.
Once a Marine, always a Marine."

You're an idiot and don't know what you're talking about, so you should shut your worthless hole.

All Marine's that are no longer serving are called former-Marine's . If they're kicked out of the Corps or do something disgraceful after serving (i.e., Murtha) they're called ex-Marine's.

The only thing you got right was "Once a Marine, always a Marine".

# thebronze 2008-05-21 20:55
"I'd put my money that if any military have been accosted, it's been by mentally ill people, not war protesters."

They're the same thing.

# Winston 2008-05-21 21:10
Too sad that the minority of ignorant Americans can't really appreciate what the US military do around the world. If they realize the great service done by the US armed forces, they would be ashamed. Shame on these people who are ignorant and blinded by their Leftist hatred.

# Lisa P 2008-05-21 22:13
I emailed the TSA to ask if this is real. This was the response:
"The information contained within the article entitled; Verbal assaults directed at uniformed [military] personnel, was not originated by the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) as implied. Although after becoming aware of the message; the FTA forwarded the report to the Metro Transit Police Department (MTPD); the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) National Operations Center (NOC) and other appropriate authorities in order to ensure that they were aware of the allegations within the report; the U.S. Army actually generated the report. That said; Iƒ??ve been advised by officials of the MTPD that an incident did occur recently whereby a person in full military uniform was verbally harassed by an unknown individual. The MTPD is well aware of the incident and is giving the matter on-going special attention. The police further point out that the military person was not harmed. Moreover; the incident appears to have been at random and thereƒ??s no indication that this type of harassment toward military personnel using the Metro system is on-going. "

# truthnmerci 2008-05-21 22:57
First and foremost:

Fen, I certainly meant you NO offense or disrespect in my statement earlier. Thank you for your service! God Bless you and your family!

Now, bronze:

My husband served as a Marine in Desert Storm/Shield. He served in the Marines for 8 years. I have a special affinity for the Marines. He too always used the term 'former' when referring to himself and his Service to our country.
I personally always had a problem with it because as you pointed out, I was correct in stating "Once a Marine, Always a Marine". If you are ALWAYS a Marine then you are NEVER former (unless they kick you out, as you said)
Then I found the blog of a Marine, blog name; Major Pain, the one I clearly referenced www dot onemarinesview dot com archive post 21 Oct 05 "The Oath". He voiced my sentiments exactly. Perhaps you would consider reading that.

I am a fellow American, very few of the males in my family didn't serve at least one term in a branch of the Service, my father served in the Korean War, my cousins served in Viet Nam, my husband served in Desert Storm as I said, and my daughter is soon to enlist in the Army and I have no doubt my son will be a Marine like his Daddy.
Someone has to keep the home fires burning and not only do I keep them burning but there is excellent hot chow waiting for the troops when they come home. I intend to support not only my children but the Americans they serve with when they are deployed.

# Belisarius 2008-05-21 23:57
Let me read the fine print:
Military personnel who return the violence will be jailed, while the filthy hippies and trash who conduct themselves as traitors will be tolerated rather than prosecuted as they deserve.

How backwards. Put more people in uniform and when these idiots come out to play, use them as punching bags. That will stop the attacks. Stupid hippies.

# Tantor 2008-05-22 00:36
I ride the Metro in DC. There are lots of military members riding it all the time, even a general now and then. I've never seen any sort of negative interaction at all. I have seen a sprinkling of people thanking them.

That said, it's possible. I served in the Air Force for eight years and nobody ever laid a hand on me in anger, though I had the occassional encounters during the Vietnam years with lefty scum calling me the usual babykiller, etc. I've gone to about ten "peace" marches in DC to blog about them and have been physically attacked twice. There are some dog nuts lefties in DC who will curse and even attack what they perceive as their political enemies.

Maybe the military members in uniform can not respond to abuse by these lefty scum, but I can. In fact, I would love to confront and defeat such trash. And I'll bet there are other vets riding the train who would welcome the confrontation.

And we could be anywhere.

# Grumpy 2008-05-22 01:50
When I was in ROTC in San Francisco we had a policy of not wearing our uniforms off campus for just this reason. Now, I know that SF is a little different than the rest of the country but it doesn't make the hateful stares and the comments muttered under breath or the outright insults feel any better. I heard that the UK was going to put their military under the same set of anti-discrimina tion laws that other "protected" minorities enjoy. I have often thought that this would be a good idea for the US to do also. Wearing a uniform should not be a vulnerability. Being in the military should not be something that you have to hide. ROTC should not be forced to become a covert op.

# Tjf 2008-05-22 03:09
Our troops defend us abroad, we should defend them on the domestic front. If you come across these nut jobs harassing our troops, then get between them and allow the troops to leave. Allow the leftists to vent their anger on you instead. I've done this once myself and have no regrets. And it really pisses off the leftys. Bonus!

# Matthew Gonzalez 2008-05-22 04:28
I read that article from the blog link, it didn't let me comment on that page, so i'll post it here ;-)
As was excellently described in the book On Killing, the Psychological Cost of Learning to Kill in War and Society, LTC Grossman's examination of the high number of PTSD cases that came from the Vietnam War led him to determine that the degree of PTSD one faces after the war is equal to the amount of violence and stress exposed to in combat multiplied by the social support one receives back home. He found evidence of trips back home aboard ships. as opposed to flights home which our troops experience more regularly today, as a better means of troops sharing and reconciling their actions with their fellow servicemen. Attacks like this are more than unwarranted protests, they are a threat to the psychological health of our troops, many of which have already had to deal with the added stress of multiple or extended tours in Iraq. There comes a point after the stages of grief, once rationalization and acceptance has been achieved, where the rationalization fails under increasingly stressful conditions and soldiers sink into a state of PTSD. Its strange when I think about it, but a simple "Thank You" from a stranger to a soldier really can make a difference, and maybe this Memorial Day, the nation can thank its military for the war it has fought.

# kenb 2008-05-22 05:36
I take the Yellow line to work (Huntington to Pentagon/switch to Blue line there) and I have never seen this before. I'm not denying it, just saying I've never seen it.

# thebronze 2008-05-22 05:57
truthnmerci,

I was way too harsh in my reply post to you and I sincerely apologize.

I've read Maj. Pain's blog as well and I just went and read the post that you referred to. I disagree with him about the "former-Marine" thing. Most every Marine that I know that is no longer serving refers to themselves as a "former- Marine" in order to distinguish themselves from currently-servi ng Marines. However it is true about "Once a Marine, always a Marine". We all ("former-Marine s") still consider ourselves Marines, but I don't know of any "former-Marines " that would tell another person (except for another Marine) that they are a Marine (indicating current-service ). I (and just about every former-Marine I know) would tell another Marine (or former-Marine) that I was also a former-Marine and then we'd talk about who we were with (unit, etc). Consequently, If I saw that person again, I might greet them with "Semper Fi! Marine!" or "Oorah! Devil-Dog!" as a term of affection. Like I said, for the most part, former-Marines usually don't refer to themselves as Marine, because that's reserved for currently-servi ng Marines.

And also like I said (as did Maj. Pain) it's true that "Once a Marine, always a Marine" and "Marine for life", unless revoked due to dishonorable service as a Marine or a civilian.

I'm not sure that I've made this any clearer to you. Again, I apologize for jumping on you earlier and sorry for the thread-jack. Thank you for your support to our military.

# truthnmerci 2008-05-22 12:57
...for your service and for your apology; most certainly accepted. I understand fully the need to distinguish between currently serving and having served prior when in converstaion with civilians. I was born an Air Force brat and spent 3 of my most formative years roaming around an embassy that no longer exists as my father went directly into civil service when he was discharged from the Air Force.
Going forward I will remember to choose my words more carefully when voicing my "Always a Marine" point/opinion. When some one tells me he/she is a former Marine I will politely say "Then you are always Marine." with a big smile, of course!
It truely is out of respect.

DONE, sorry folks...thanks for your patience.

# Lisa P 2008-05-22 13:48
People! This isn't happening! You're getting yourself all lathered up over nothing! There was one incident that had nothing to do with the victim being military! I got this information straight from the source (note: in my earlier comment, I said I emailed the TSA, but I meant the NTA) This report did not come from the NTA. It came from the Army. The single incident is being investigated, but it is believed that the uniform was not a factor in the harrassment. If you don't believe me, email the NTA yourselves. Check the facts for yourselves before you start kicking in the hippie's* teeth.

*What decade are you people living in?

# Lisa P 2008-05-22 13:53
I mean FTA. Here is their contact us page: http://www.fta.dot.gov/about/about_FTA_6903.html

# SERGEANT MAJOR ROBERT SPEAKMAN 2008-05-22 14:28
ITS A SAD DAY, WHEN OUR MILITARY SHOULD NOT WEAR THE UNIFORM IN PUBLIC. I SERVED
28 YEARS IN THE MILITARY IN COMBAT UNITS, (INFANTRY). THE LOW LIFE SCUM OF THE EARTH BETTER WAKE UP. EVERYTIME I GET A CHANCE I WEAR MY DECORATIONS ON MY SUIT, NOT TOO SHOW OFF, BUT TO SHOW I'M PROUD TO WEAR MY COUNTRY'S DECORATIONS. I'M TIRED OF ALL THE POILITICALLY CORRECT AND LIBBERALS, GO BACK TO THE BASICS THAT FOUNDED THIS COUNTRY

# Arlene 2008-05-22 15:23
My British friends tell me that their military personnel are verbally and physically abused at home. They will be aghast to find out it's happening here, too. It is unacceptable behavior and deserves punishment. People that do not respect our military have no respect for America or any other democratic country. I do not want to become physical myself should I ever be witness to this type of behavior, but Michael, I cannot promise that I won't!
God Bless you and our military hearts,
Arlene

# Bugs 2008-05-22 15:24
Not exactly a hoax, but certainly not indicative of a plague of anti-war nutballs harrassing the troops. Thanks, Lisa P.

Assuming you really ARE Lisa P and not some moonbat trying to defuse everyone's righteous anger. (just kidding!)

People from out of town might be surprised at how little public political whackery goes on around here nowadays. Most of the exhibitionists are from out of town. Even on days when massive anti-war protests are planned, my Metro ride is pretty dull. This is a government town and it's not 1968 anymore. I think most people around here realize that.

# Carl C 2008-05-22 15:33
perhaps if the military personnel disobeyed the heinous orders they are given, they wouldn't have to be ashamed of their actions?

# Jamfish 2008-05-22 16:27
Bugger off, Carl C. You and your agenda are not welcome here.

# Starman 2008-05-22 16:49
If I catch one of these treasonous, inbred retarded crack babies harassing a soldier, there will be a far different news story ;-)

# Gunny G 2008-05-22 16:51
I BEG God to let me see this occur. We'll then see how well liberal's health insurance is.

NO MORE SILENT MAJORITY!

# MuttTheHoople 2008-05-22 18:26
I went out to see John McCain at NAS Meridian last month. I was seriously hoping there'd be some hippies out there so I could kick them in the nuts.

However, the bedwetters keep themselves to their own hovels (Washington, DC, San Francisco, Seattle, etc.). These "principled" people never seem to make it down here, or around San Diego, or the Midwest (except for Madison, WI).

# Arlene 2008-05-22 21:00
Comment #48 Sargeant Major Robert Speakman

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!

God Bless you. Wear your colors proudly!

Arlene in California (not anywhere near Berkeley)

# SFC Cheryl McElroy USARMY RET 2008-05-22 22:28
Before I retired, I was stationed in D.C. I witnessed some asinine anti-war protesters outside the Pentagon now and then, and I always flipped them off. I rode the Metro in uniform and never encountered any mealy-mouthed radicals. If I had, I would have decked the sonsofbitches.

HOOAH!

Duty, Honor, Country

# Rickvid in Seattle 2008-05-22 22:56
"Check the facts for yourselves before you start kicking in the hippies' teeth."

Okay.

Is that a hippie? Check! Am I within range? Check! Kick away!

As for dribbling idiots like Carl C., maybe a trip to the websites of guys like Michael Yon rather than Michael "uuuurrrrppp" Moore would help inform his warped pea brain.

But that would entail work and facts. Not high on his list, I wager.

# eagle275 2008-05-23 04:29
I just want to see it one time - it will be on! They better have good health insurance. Hippies go back to your sewer holes.

# Trisha B 2008-05-23 13:27
I'm not surprised about the way things are going. We are a country established on Biblical principles. Our society has tried to remove God from everything and has succeeded in many instances including our schools. Our children are being brainwashed. When you rewrite history and ignore God, you are asking for trouble. I pray that we Americans will start standing up for our beliefs so things like this will stop!

We need to take back our rights and shut up the radicals.....th ey need to leave permanently and take up residence in countries that agree with them.

Our military is protecting us and our freedoms. We cannot allow that to be undermined!

# galoob 2008-05-24 15:33
Looks like you have been spoofed by a spammer. I spent the last 2 weeks in DC and saw nothing about this in the local media.

# AVN 2008-05-26 15:13
The notice about military personnel being harassed is not a joke. I work at the Pentagon and I received it through official channels. It came through the same email system that advises me when there are parking restrictions in the Pentagon military reservation. The person(s) who wrote it may or may not have had all the facts straight, but the notice was in fact distributed widely throughout the Pentagon. It was not spam.

In addition, the Pentagon has hosted protestors on several occasions while I have worked there. They gather near the Metro entrance to the Pentagon, chanting and waving signs while we enter the building on our way to work. I have lived in the DC area since 1995, and the city is regularly inundated by radicals of every political persuasion who conduct protests here. They used to focus their efforts at the meetings of the World Bank and IMF. Now I guess they blame our own Soldiers for all the world's problems. What morons these protesters are.

# Michael Moore 2008-05-26 18:22
I frequently fly thru DFW returning to SJC. Apparentally DFW is a terminus for flights from Iraq/Kuwait for personnel coming back on leave.

Our sister chapter of the Sons of the American Revolution meet every flight, night and day to welcome the folks back home.

On my last two flights, whenI've upgraded to First Class, I have seen businessmen give up their first Cl;ass seat so a trooper can ride in comfort. My last flight back, I tried to but was beateen to the punch by another guy. In one case, the GI sat next to me. He expressed his appreciation saying he had been traveling for 3 days and was pretty tired.
Happy Memorial Day!
Michael Moore

# Joseph R. Matteini Jr. 2008-05-27 18:28
They better not harass any our our military in my view.I am good backup from years of weight-training and bodyguard/secur ity/specialist training. We will take the battle to those idiots.

# galoob 2008-05-27 19:51
Confederate Yankee over at Pajamas has debunked this.

You should follow up with a correction, Michael.