Our Muslim Friends Suffer, Too

Published: 29 September 2010

Terrorism knows no bounds.  This atrocity happened in Iraq and the sadness still lingers in many hearts.

I republish these two emails with permission of CSM Jeffrey Mellinger.

Mohemmed's name has been changed to protect his family.  May God cherish his brave Soul.

SGM Mohemmed al-Ahbab

From: Mellinger Jeffrey J CSM MNF-I CSM
Sent: Friday, November 03, 2006 10:20 AM
To: SPC Jason Clark (MNF-I CSM Gunner); SFC Caprecia A Miller; CSM Frank Graham (1st Bde 1 AD); IT3 Joshua D Carter (ITSN Naval Subase NLON,Communications); SGT Ben Harless; IT1 Robert Parker (MNF-I CSM Commo); PFC David Belfiore (MNF-I CSM PSD); SGT Carson Rowe (MNF-I CSM PSD); SGT Christopher Hathaway (MNF-I CSM PSD); SGT Nicholas McManus (MNF-I CSM PSD Medic); SGT Nicholas Stirrett (MNF-I CSM PSD); SPC David MacDonald (MNF-I CSM Driver); SPC Jeremy Worthy (MNF-I CSM Driver); SPC Joshua Wathen (MNF-I CSM PSD); SPC Marc Paugh (MNF-I CSM PSD); SPC Michael Clark (MNF-I CSM Driver); SPC Nolan Lovett (MNF-I CSM PSD); SPC Richard Cabeceiras (MNF-I CSM PSD); SSG Kim N Robinson (MNF-I CSM Patrol Leader); SSG Lanretta L. Covington (MNF-I CSM EAA)
Subject: [U] RIP: SGM Mohemmed al-Ahbab, ICTF
Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED//FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY

I am sorry to tell you that Sergeant Major Mohemmed al-Ahbab, of the Iraqi Counter-Terrorism Force (ICTF) was killed during a mission.

He was a warrior, a patriot, a friend and a frequent traveler with the Lion 7 crew.  I will miss him, as I know you will.  Please pass this to all those whose life he touched, but keep it from others as he still has family here.
The fight continues.

CSM M-----Original Message-----
From: Far North Mellingers
Sent: Friday, June 26, 2009 7:56 AM
To: Mellinger, Jeffrey J CSM MIL USA AMC
Subject: RIP SGM Mohemmed al-Ahbab, ICTF

SGM Mohemmed al-Ahbab was a member of the ICTF and Iraqi Special Forces (ISF).  He rode many miles with me and my crew, and was right in the middle of any fray we had, moving quickly to the sounds of the guns.  The Iraqi Counter-Terrorism Force (ICTF) was on everyone's hit list, as they were fighting for Iraq, and against all who were not for Iraq first.  The ICFT killed plenty of Anti-Iraqi Forces (AIF) and Al Qaeda - Iraq (AQI), and I was privileged to go on many raids and operations with them.  I was never afraid of them - they were patriots and fierce fighters.

To soften the blow to the Lion 7 team, the above email reflects what I told them.

The truth is, he was captured leaving his Sadr City (Tharwa) home.  His brothers had been captured, tortured and killed while refusing to disclose his location.  His father suffered the same fate. Finally, Mohammed himself was captured coming back from leave.

For the next four days, sadistic Shi’a bastards (and he was himself Shi’a) beat him to the point of opening tissue and breaking major bones, used electric drills to drill every major joint (elbows, knees, ankles, shoulders), several locations in his skull, and every rib.  Not to leave a single nerve unexposed, they used a Sawz-all to cut a notch from his bottom jaw, four teeth wide, and to the jut of his chin.  Still, he lived.

Still alive after four days of this, he was shot twice in the head.  He was bruised and swollen almost beyond recognition, but a tattoo revealed his identity.

A couple of weeks later, I was called by the CSM of the USSF element at the Radwaniyah Palace Complex (RPC) in Baghdad, and asked if I wanted to come along on the raid to kill/capture the rat bastards that had tortured and killed Mohemmed.  Well, of course!

SGT Duncan, SGM Mohemmed, SPC Jason 'Big' Clark

CSM Mellinger & SGM Mohamad at the Al Fathah pipeline crossing, 29 March 2006

Comments

-2 # RE: Our Muslim Friends Suffer, TooA&N 2010-09-29 10:18
You've taken your stand.....we've taken ours. Sad to see you are saying about Islam. Can't say anything more.

-4 # RE: Our Muslim Friends Suffer, TooRandy 2010-09-29 10:23

I appreciate your extensive reporting. I'm a Marine vet of 25 years and though I don't support the current president, I wholeheartedly support our troops.

I must disagree with you on this one. There is NO such thing as a peaceful Muslim. If they are, they AREN'T Muslim. I've done extensive studies on this religion of hate. I would encourage you to check out this former PLO terrorist and now Christian. He shares exactly whats going on with the biggest threat to our county. Check out www.shoebat.com By their own koran, those who are NOT Muslim are to either convert or die. We must learn more about islam and stop this infiltration immediately!

God bless,
Randy

# Bill Brent 2010-09-29 10:33
Please let us know the outcome of CSM Mellinger's search for the bastards who would torture a man in that way. Disgusting creeps.

-1 # RE: Our Muslim Friends Suffer, Too Jack 2010-09-29 10:37
Randy is right Michael, he is right, we need to never soften our stance...a sign of weakness,

# TC 2010-09-29 10:38
Shouldn't you redact or delete the names of all the servicemembers on the "To" lines in those or emails?

+2 # RE: Our Muslim Friends Suffer, TooGerry 2010-09-29 10:38
I find it tough to swallow the crap that all Muslims are sadistic terrorists. Most of the ones I have met in the Middle East and Eastern Europe don't buy in to the USA being The Great Satan either.

I get asked why don't they stand up to terrorists in their own country. Fear. The same reason folks don't come forward in Chicago or Detroit or Juarez or Cali.

+1 # RE: Our Muslim Friends Suffer, TooChase 2010-09-29 10:39
Keep it up Michael, too many people are brainwashed into thinking all Muslims are evil. Few know that in Tehran after 9/11 hundreds attended a candle light vigil or the moments of silence many countries held for those killed. And for those who are going to reply that those two instances were only for mourning Muslims that died that day, they weren't, do some research.

Those who say there is no such thing as a good Muslim have obviously not met any Muslims and from what I see a lot of people who regard all Muslims as evil are mainly hardcore Christians, very sad.

+1 # RE: Our Muslim Friends Suffer, TooPeter C 2010-09-29 10:42
Hi Mchael,
Your kind comments about SGM Mohemmed al-Ahbab and your personal vision on Muslims is very enlightning. If you have ever travelled and worked in Muslims countries you will find as Micheal said a few bad and a lot of good people, most are very good. That's my experience as well. I know Michael has seen many bad things and atrocities in his travels as a war reporter yet he still manages to keep a clear head, his humanity and understands the source of the evil is not to be applied across to board to all Muslims. Keep up the good work Michael. Good to see there is a very human person behind the pen.

+1 # RE: Our Muslim Friends Suffer, TooJim Pennington 2010-09-29 10:50
The only thing that this soldier's torturers gained is the fires of hell. There is no honor in what they did. No matter what religious label this young man wore, he did not deserve this. He deserves our respect for having stood his watch against our enemies. He has mine. May he see God. "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees." Emilio Zapata

+1 # RE: Our Muslim Friends Suffer, Tooin_awe 2010-09-29 11:04
"CSM Mellinger, SGM Mohemmed's friend, tells me that those who killed Mohemmed were killed in the raid." from the caption of the last picture.

Randy - My wife and I have been friends with a family of Muslims for 25 years. They are all wonderful and kind people who are generous beyond measure and devoted to this nation. We would place our lives in their hands without hesitation - something that I can't say readily about many people we know. They have been saddened by the blowback from the actions of the radical Muslims and their reign of terror around the globe...just like any other rational people.

+1 # RE: Our Muslim Friends Suffer, TooAmy 2010-09-29 11:21
Thank you for posting this, Michael. I have worked with refugees from Iraq. Many of them put their lives, their families lives, and endured torture, kidnapping, death threats, and many unspeakable horrors in order to help the United States. They came here with nothing but the clothes on their backs, and the scars on their bodies and hearts. They have sacrificed much for the US, and they are certainly not terrorists.

I get incredibly angry when I hear people say "kill all the Muslims, they're all terrorists." This people believe that Islam is a monolithic entity, and have only studied the interpretations of Islam that suit them. They are unaware of all of the various sects and opinions. There are over 1 billion Muslims in the world. Killing them all is genocide, not counter-terrorism.

I have many Muslims friends, and usually the first conversation went something like this: "Hi, what is your name?" "My name is Amy, what's yours?" "My name is ___." "It's nice to meet you, ____." "You know, I'm Muslim. But I'm not a terrorist!"

I think the biggest problem that some have is they actually don't know any Muslims. Once you meet a few, you realize most of them are just like other people-- they want to raise their families, practice their religion freely, and have hopes, dreams, fears, and hopes that have nothing to do with Usama bin Laden's version of jihad. And they are individuals, with beliefs that differ accordingly.

If you're just looking at numbers, more Muslims have been victims of terrorism than Americans. And for most of the homegrown terrorists, it has been American Muslims who have first come to law enforcement, such as with the Fort Dix group.

-1 # RE: Our Muslim Friends Suffer, TooScott Evans 2010-09-29 11:28
Why are Muslims who attempt to follow all the teachings of the Koran referred to as radical and why are the people who call themselves Muslims who don't attempt to follow all the teachings of the Koran referred to as Muslims?

-1 # RE: Our Muslim Friends Suffer, TooTom Barry 2010-09-29 11:42
Michael

I am a long time supporter of yours, and I respect your opinion. I am sure there are brave and honorable muslims, however the religion has been hijacked by the radical element, and the problem is their holy book supports killing non Muslims. How do you resolve that issue?

+1 # RE: Our Muslim Friends Suffer, TooHarry 2010-09-29 11:43
This exchange is highly edifying. I've found myself drifting into the "a plague on them all" mindset. Thanks for re-orienting me.

-1 # Elaine 2010-09-29 12:10
I was raised to not be prejudiced but to judge each man individually by his/her actions.

Since Sept 11th, my world was rocked and now I am very suspicious of EVERY Muslim.
It doesn't make me feel good to be that way, but it's there and I cannot apologize.

BUT I will say this....what those savages did to that man is beyond comprehension and if I could have been there to save him, I would have. I value human life but I would have shot those murderers in a split second.

He looked like a real nice guy and it pains me GREATLY to imagine what he went through in those last hours of his life...it's thoroughly disgusting, heart-breaking and makes me mad as heck.

May God bring comfort to his family......and may everyone who is just like those savages, be caught and eradicated.

+1 # RE: Our Muslim Friends Suffer, TooHamilton Russell 2010-09-29 12:24
SGM Mohemmed was described as good and brave young man, touching many lives, it is a tragedy when a good man is lost, no matter his home country. To read the utter barbaric method in which he was tortured and killed is mind numbing, and what happen to his family too is so very heart braking. I was also sorry to hear of the ill nature comments left on some of your pages, we who are so disconnected with whats going on in the Middle East and the culture, that when we hear of atrocities of this sort, committed by Muslims extremists, I think we classify them as being semi like minded to non extremists because we simply do not understand and can not comprehend these acts of brutal violence it is easier to think they are ALL just animals. Thank Mr. Yon, for giving me and the rest of your readers an insight to a world which otherwise , we would not know. Stay safe, I hope our soldiers know that "most" of us love and support our troops and God Bless.

+2 # RE: Our Muslim Friends Suffer, Toojoe f 2010-09-29 12:25
It seems you're now seeing what I've noticed from the comments made by your "fans" on facebook--I don't know if it's a loud-mouthed minority or a majority, but the posters are so often extreme-right-w ing, jingoistic, hateful people who attack you any time you seem to imply anything regarding moderation or acceptance (even tolerance) of the "other". They're full of a little bit of knowledge (which is always dangerous). I've often been amazed at how liberal some of the greatest warriors I know are (from Stan McCrystal to the several SF guys and one ex-Delta guy I know) seeing as how the word itself has been so successfully demonized in our society (and especially our military--which has sometimes been more progressive than society (e.g., desegregation, etc.). Anyway. It's unfortunate that you've so many ignorant "followers"--bu t until Fox News gets embeds to do more reporting from outside the green zone hotels, you're one of the few sources they can follow. I'm sure most of these hateful people are doubly taken aback by the fact that you're not as hateful as them (I see lots of them rebuking you and/or pledging to stop reading your facebook posts whenever you show any hint of compassion or understanding concerning the "ragheads"). Blue Skies SGM Mohemmed "al-Ahbab".
--jOE f

+1 # RE: Our Muslim Friends Suffer, TooMary 2010-09-29 12:30
I am deeply saddened to read what happened to this man, no man or woman deserves such brutal treatment, I read the post to my daughter and had to stop as I was crying, what this family suffered is beyond understanding. My niece died on 9/11 and at first, my pain caused feelings of hate BUT after the shock wore off, I realized that all Muslims were not to blame and to hate and discrimnate would be acting like the cowards that killed my niece. I chose to do volunteer work in her memory and an author that I read used her name as a character in a book, this is a far better tribute to the memories of those that died than hate. I can't begin to imagine the pain that this man suffered while being tortured and knowing his own countrymen were doing this. May God bless him and I hope he is at peace with his brothers and father. I support our troops all the way but do not support the war, it has gone on long enough and too many have died.

+1 # RE: Our Muslim Friends Suffer, TooMatthew 2010-09-29 12:56
A poster (Randy) above cited this liar as proof that all muslims are all violent... I would encourage people to do their own research. Maybe search Jerusalem Post articles.

Shoebat is just a braying jackass profiting off of the current situation... The bank he says he attacked says they were never attacked. But hey, everyone do their own research...

If all muslims are are enemy, who are the muslims we fight alongside we are dieing for?

Walid Shoebat is an outright liar, and I would be happy to tell him that to his phony, lying face

+2 # RE: Our Muslim Friends Suffer, TooP.H. 2/75 2010-09-29 13:18
A&N, you've never stood for a thing. Randy & Jack - you are fools and speak from ignorance. False bravado like yours always manages to stir the pot with little personal investment. Jose the grass cutter? Are you serious? Button your britches - your ass is showing. Mohemmed was more a patriot than any of you could ever be. And Randy - what infiltration? Get a grip and read some yourself. Better yet - get some boots and a rifle and so show us what a man you are.
CPL Khan, a Muslim, joined the Army after 9-11 because he felt a call to duty. RIP, comrade. http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/krkhan.htm

# RE: Our Muslim Friends Suffer, TooG.R.N. 2010-09-29 13:58
It sure seems to me that what those animals did to SGM Mohemmed al-Ahbab is all the proof you need that there are good Muslims. 'nuff said.

+1 # RE: Our Muslim Friends Suffer, TooDaniel 2010-09-29 14:41
Michael, you are an incredible writer. I was the C co sniper team leader in Deuce Four in Mosul 2004-2005, so obviously I have some contact with you.
This comment is for Randy, who seems to think Muslims are incapable of being peaceful. You may have "extensively" studied the Muslim religion, but that is spoken like someone who has never spent real time in the Middle East interacting with them. I've spoken to countless Muslims, and I've sent my fair share to meet Allah, and I can speak from experience that many are peaceful. I have known Iraqi interpreters shot numerous times in combat while rescuing wounded Americans. Another interpreter that died with six of my platoon members in 2007. He was 15 and lied about his age so he could assist American Soldiers to stop the violence in his country.
It is not true, and it is entirely closed minded, to believe that those that are muslim are by definition violent. Continue to study the religion, but on site, real life experience always trumps book reading.

+1 # RE: Our Muslim Friends Suffer, TooChad 2010-09-29 14:53
Thank you. It means a lot to me to get real news and solid factual reporting. I can't stand Nancy Grace..

+1 # RE: Our Muslim Friends Suffer, TooSigh 2010-09-29 15:00
What does Waco Texas, blue-lipped suicide cults, or even the KKK have in common? They all wholeheartedly believed they were Christians. But no, they were not Christians. They were extremists.

Why is it so hard to see that another religion can have extremists that are so fundamentally opposed to the actual teachings?

+1 # RE: Our Muslim Friends Suffer, TooDetermined 2010-09-29 15:04
The way I see it all the terrorist are Muslim but not all Muslim are terrorists.And you are absolutely right there are bad people in every religion or faith as in every race,creed and color.We should look at their Character as Marin Luther King said so well.Don't judge a person by the color of their skin and I'm sure he also meant their religion but by their Character.We may not all agree on all things but we do have to be respectfull to one another.As usual a great read thank you sir.Stay safe and your in our prayers always.

# Janet 2010-09-29 15:10
Hmmm, some comments remind me of the KKK. Or the Nazi's or............

Let all without sin cast the first stone

+1 # RE: Our Muslim Friends Suffer, TooRobert Young 2010-09-29 15:40
Dear Michael,

I was saddened to learn of the loss of your friend. He sounded like a good man and a patriot. No doubt there are many Iraqis (Muslims) who are good people. Those who killed him are barbaric and have nothing to offer those who want thei8r owhn frredom and liberty for their country. Ours and their enemy is vicious and needs to be taken out! Thank you Michael for your continued work and service to our country and the world who truly wants a better way... Thank you sincere for reporting the truth as you see it. Please take special care of yourself. You are an American treasure. We shall never forget our service members and those who fight along side them. Tracy September 29, 2010

+2 # RE: Our Muslim Friends Suffer, TooJustin 2010-09-29 15:46
An incredibly painful story to read, as are many of the comments. Interesting that the voices of reason seems to be those in the fight or those who have experienced loses....

+1 # RE: Our Muslim Friends Suffer, TooRGK 2010-09-29 16:04
First of all, thank you Michael, for making this very important point about Muslims, Christians, Jews, Hindus, and all others. I would have placed my life in the hands of Mohemmed, in battle, without a second thought. I don't know where...those of you making negative comments about Muslims...may live, but unless its in a remote cave somewhere, you are not any safer around any other people group, if in the U.S. If you think that all Muslims are going to, at one time or another, come after you, you had better pack up now and dig a lot deeper cave or maybe head for the moon on the first available commercial shuttle. I dare say, none of you can judge a man's heart and know how and when it may change. Only God has the capability and talent for that, plus a whole lot more. Please consider allowing Him to take charge of your life and look forward to the new world thats on the way, where all of this type of thing will be a distant forgotten memory of the past. A much better choice than living and experiencing constant pain and suffering for eternity. I'm sure you have heard this one before, all of us are sinful, with a sinful heart, by nature. Well, I'll get off my soapbox now with one more idea for you. Click on this link to see a book that may help to shed some light on the subject.....

# Russell Schroeder 2010-09-29 17:35
I am a Christian. By the Grace of Jesus Christ. There are many people in this world that are good people. Regardless of there religion or lack there of. It saddens me to here of this man's fate. Terrorists deserve no mercy when they do things like this. I can not and will not lump all people together by there religion or lack there of. Any person who fights the good fight especially if it is in the cause of Freedom is worthy of respect. I do however pray for there souls and there realization that Jesus Christ is the only way to salvation. I've been friends with agnostics, gays, atheists and people of many different religions.. I hope to see these people in Heaven when God calls me home. God Bless you and the work you do. May he keep you safe. And the people you meet. Keep the good work coming.

# RE: Our Muslim Friends Suffer, TooScott Evans 2010-09-29 17:59
Is someone a Muslim simply because they say they are?

-1 # Greg Roosevelt 2010-09-29 19:08
Michael , God rest your friend. Like you , I've known some amazing souls who happen to be Muslim. Unfortunately , in todays world we are seeing the ascendency of authorative Islam and it's counterpart...S hariha. Hence ...the war. As for myself , On 10/23/83 , I was given a rude awakening by "The Religion of Peace " and have been studying ( Islam ) since that day. The bottom line is that Islam must undergo a reformation. And I pray that it's not too late. Thank you for your courageous work. GDR

+2 # RE: Our Muslim Friends Suffer, TooIreland 2010-09-29 21:43
Your wonderful site is being undermined by racist and bigoted postings. Please review the site policy on this.
Ireland

+1 # RE: Our Muslim Friends Suffer, TooJFindley 2010-09-29 22:06
The Koran teaches that infidels should be killed? And so we should condemn all who believe in Islam as terrorists? And just how old is this book ... 0ver 1300 years, right? And what of another book, which speaks of the sexual orientation of one group of society as an abomination, and of stoning women for adultery (did they ever mention stoning the men also?), or prostitution, etc. Shall we condemn the followers of that book also? Or should we follow the other teachings of that religion? You know, the ones about loving one another, turning the other cheek, judge not, etc.? As others have said, if you knew any real life Muslims, you would know they do not all advocate killing all the rest of us, and they are not evil or dangerous. Some are extremely fine people, like Mr. Yon's departed friend. It is good those who committed this horrific act are no longer among the living.

+1 # RE: Our Muslim Friends Suffer, Toos.sh 2010-09-29 23:24
i am sorry about what happened....

# Salma.Sh 2010-09-29 23:32
thank you so much for mentioning that. yes. it still hurts to know how many people were lost in the trauma of 9/11 and the world should be aware that not only Americans, but also IRANIANS have the same pain in their hearts. after all we all live in the same planet. we shouldn't let religions separate us from each other.

Salma.

# william bloom 2010-09-30 04:29
It seems to be what the terrorists have really excelled at it killing other muslims. the Sons of Iraq, the guys in the new Iraqi army, are fighting for our country. the bad guys win if we start lumping all muslims together under their banner.

+1 # RE: Our Muslim Friends Suffer, TooWmR 2010-09-30 04:31
Unfortunately for myself and this brave soul and many others like us, We are taught or programmed at a very young age how to eat, sleep, speak and pray. Only a very small percentage of human beings are able to peek up over the heard and see the big picture. Recent his-story has proven that many terrorists incidents have been due to Muslims actions or re-actions. No one seemed to call the french, British or spanish terrorists when they invaded the America's or the fertile crescent when oil was deemed valuable. Micheal, I greatly appreciate your efforts and hoist a Scotch in honor of this brave man, our brave Men in women in the armed Forces past and present and for your efforts for opening peoples eyes. War is Hell.

# MSG Joe Roberts Joey to some 2010-09-30 06:10
No matter my religion, it's my faith that I believe that Warrior is in a better place to watch over a people become more united than divided. I highly recommend seeing the efforts made by an organization doing what they cant to pay respect to the fallen of Iraq and it's allies with a "living memorial" in Iraq. www.generationiraq.org

There are endless amounts of both fans and fanatics of all religions as far as I've seen. For the most part I don't recall a person's policical, religious, or even sexual preference being the first thing coming to mind when those little "snap snap snap" sounds came our direction.

Granted it was fiction, but I've often used clips from "The 13th Warrior" in prof development classes. As a way to show examples of such different men from different cultures able to bond through situations such as combat. At this point in life I know: my brain housing group is made to be on a swivel. I can turn another way if I don't like something. With that, igoring can make you ignorant. Denial can kill you twice, and there are those who live the "if" life. Those the live the "when" life (prepared for).

I truely believe that all must be done to publicize the kind of evil that people like this Warrior endured. The world needs to know that man is capable of this as a reminder so that sight of true good is never lost. I also do think that if more (particularly women of that relgion who live in the USA) spoke out against the radical types, it would help.
With Patriotism,
Joe
-Sua Sponte-

+1 # RE: Our Muslim Friends Suffer, TooJbadgph 2010-09-30 06:34
A good man, a patriot for his country who gave the last full measure of devotion. Good and right and proper that his compatriots took care of business regarding the ones who killed him. They were evil and evil knows no religious identity and must be opposed by those of any race, creed or religion. I pray God take SGM Mohemmed into his arms.

When I was in Afghanistan I worked with quite a few in the Afghan Police that were partriots for their country. Low pay (when it came at all-most worked second jobs) and constant threats to them and their families from the same type that killed the SGM. Yet they came to work every day and did the best they could for their country. Never boasted about their religion nor denigrated mine. They thanked me for being there and we respected each other. Their pictures are on my wall at work, good men all.

I worked with Nepalese Ghurka's who were Hindu. You knew they would stand with you, or in front of you, if anything came down. It's a little different when you are in a serious environment. The measure of a man becomes apparent.

There is a scene from the movie "Gettysburg" that says it all about being inclusively judgemental. An old Irish soldier (the Irish being victims of discrimination in the antebellum US) remarks that "Any man who judges by the group is a peawit".

Thanks again, Michael, for an informative but deeply saddenning post.

+1 # RE: Our Muslim Friends Suffer, TooTim Perren 2010-09-30 07:21
When I was in Iraq, I also fought with Muslims that I would trust with my life. Some were in the U.S. Army, and some were in the Iraqi Army. I saw many of them die fighting for their country alongside American troops.

+1 # RE: Our Muslim Friends Suffer, TooJ 2010-09-30 23:20
When I was in Bosnia with the US/IFOR I had the great fortune of getting out on patrol and meeting combatants and non combatants from each of the ethnic groups forming the Former Yugoslavia and found an equal number of decent hard working folks from each. I also had the misfortune of having weapons pointed at me and my troops from each who expressed an extreme and genuine hatred for us. I can honestly say that there were far more weapons pointed at us by Christian and Catholic troops than Muslim and this disturbs me to this day! After all who did we go to war with in Kosovo a few short years after we went into Bosnia? It certainly wasn't the Muslims! In fact our Government supported the ethnic Muslim forces in Bosnia and Kosovo by supplying them with heavy weapons from the USATAACOM in Warren, MI and CIA and SF advisers out of the Partnership for Peace building in Zagreb, Croatia during "Blitzkrieg" strikes against Serbian Forces in Slovenia and later in Kosovo! I'll never forget nor forgive our so called Croatian friend who was married to a Muslim woman from Brcko (who we escorted across the bridge in Gunja to Brcko to see what remained of her birth home)and refused to provide ice cream or service (our treat)to the young Muslim children who resided in squalor in his neighborhood on the birthday of one of the very young Muslim kids. This so called man said to us, "I don't allow dogs in my restaurant" referring to these innocent children! My troops and I became so appalled by his remark(s) that we officially boycotted his restaurant ever afterward! And I will never forget the suicidal, depressed shame of a Former Croatian Special Forces soldier (who worked on our base camp) who shamefully admitted marching from the Northern most tip of Bosnia to the Southern most tip" killing every man, woman, child and animal belonging to Muslim families they found while dressed in all black fatigues and wearing Baclava's to hide their faces like so many of our extremist enemy of today wear!

+2 # RE: Our Muslim Friends Suffer, TooYN2SW Gauthier 2010-10-02 11:07
If this is a holy war, I want to leave Afghanistan, right now. The only people who think this war is about religion are those who are not fighting it.

If you want a holy war, come out here and put your money where your mouth is, and let me go home.

I will not fight a holy war for you.

YN2(SW) H. Lucien Gauthier III
Kandahar, Afghanistan

+1 # RE: Our Muslim Friends Suffer, TooRichardG 2010-10-02 11:08
I live in the midst of some 250,000,000 Muslims (SE Asia), and many of my friends, and extended family members, are Muslim.
I have never been treated with anything but respect and offers of friendship, and respond in kind.
For you "Christians" who use selected passages of the Quran to fuel your hate for all Muslims, look to your own bible, that prescribes stoning by the whole congregation for adultery, breaking the Sabbath, insubordination by a son, blasphemy. As you do not follow those prescriptions in your life (I trust), so all the Muslims I know ignore the militant, misogynistic passages of the Quran, recognizing them to be the products of another age.
Don't take my word for it. Try, just once, having a real conversation with a Muslim and ask him what he believes. Until then, STFU !
"It is better to be silent, and thought ignorant, than to speak and remove all doubt."

-1 # another Michael 2010-10-02 15:25
I am just glad to see, that the hostilities and the "war" are over and "we" now get to go home.
Mabbe...we could use some power tools here @ home on them bastids, that sent us there for...what was that? I forgot.

So, now...support our troops, support our war machine, who are making Amerikwa safe from some local patriots some thousand miles and a few oceans away, while leaving our borders wide open...'cos it sooo hard and costly to defend against the invasion, while little israhell, who we support by a minimum of 10 million dollars cash every day, gets to build NOT only settlements, but also a SECURITY wall, on our buck...

This whole mindfudge would be funny, if it weren't tragic. Hey, did Ya catch the news about Ricky Sanches getting the boot from the Communist News Network?

Eyes wide shut.

I am ashamed. I am deeply ashamed for my people.

# Gregg 2010-10-02 19:09
My wife and I lived in Al-Khobar, Saudi Arabia for four years before all of the major turmoil in the middle east. My wife and I drove all through the region during our years there. We went into the small villages and met many local people. We were always greeted with kindness and asked to share an evening meal in their homes on many occasions. On many of those occasions we would talk about our respective religions, both the good and the bad. Yes, Christianity does have its dirty side in history. Do your own research. Even the Pope was once considered a War Lord in the 11th and 12th centuries. See The Pontificate of INNOCENT III (1198 - 1216) and The TRAGEDY of the GREAT SCHISM.

Just as there are Muslim extremist that use religion as an excuse for power there are also Christians that use religion as their excuse for power. That’s right.. the goal is really Power not religious dominance. All throughout history innocent people have been murdered by those that have used religion as an excuse to justify their actions.

Not too long ago, before the Muslim extremist became very active, members of the Irish Republican Army were bombing England on a daily basis killing innocent people, but today no one claims that all Irish people are a threat to everyone else.

Unfortunately, today, Muslim extremist are the dominant brainwashed terrorist around the world and they are having fun getting away with their murderous activity. Have you ever wondered why we never hear a loud out-cry from Muslim leaders over the many innocent Muslim people that have been murdered by the Muslim extremist? They fear being murdered themselves for speaking out. Not many of them are brave enough to stand up to the terrorist and say enough-is-enoug h. Also, there are enough hard-line Muslims within each community that would soon take care of any Muslim religious leader that did speak out.

The extremist lie about non-Muslims and they leverage many of the old out-dated passages of their holy book which was written by one person who claimed divine revelation. How many times have we also heard that among Christians? The Muslim holy book was written during a time of great turmoil among the many religions and peoples in the region by a man that desired to bring cohesion and control over the many disenfranchised people of that time. Unfortunately, he never provided a methodology for modernizing many of the out-dated methods of control as the people grew and matured intellectually.

I’ve had this discussion many times over the years with my Muslim friends and none of them have desired to kill me for it, but I have had former Christian friends threaten me because of my views that included the history of Christians who have murdered innocent people for Power.

# Hypocrisy 2010-10-04 10:55
So.. Islam is a religion of violence? And Christianity is what? The cute little cuddly bunny? I mean wonderful christian movements like Ku Klux Klan, WAR, God hates us all, blowing up abortionist clinics, and this is present time, then we can discuss the wonderful things christianity did in the past. Oh, and another thing Randy, have you watched Jesus Camp? I think you should take a good look at that movie, and then come back and tell me that christianity is so much better. To be honest, yer pretty much all as big a dicks as the ones you accuse, problem is you don't realize it. The more I see the crap being pulled in religions name, the more happy I am that I am not a believer. So yah, before you start doing the whole Christianity vs Islam bullcrap, might be you come to terms with your own religion and the shit it pulls as well. My only wish is that this planet be rid of both the pestilence of christianity and the plague of islam, and the general crippling disease of religion. Yer all so full of crap its not even funny anymore.

Have a nice day!

# GeoffreyS 2010-10-04 23:50

The story breaks my heart. I am reminded of the words of Dr. Victor Frankl, a holocaust survivor who was asked if he hated Germans. His response was one that we should all remember - he said there are only two races, the decent and the indecent.

Those that tortured and murdered the SGM deserve our hatred I am glad to here they were killed, sadly more like them remain. Decent people like SGM Mohemmed "al-Ahbab" deserve our support, love and recognition as good people regardless of ethnicity or religion. We mourn him.

I do call for the members of the "decent" race who happen to be Muslim to stand up and loudly and publicly declare that those that perpetrate evil in the name of their religion are not welcome. Sadly the only scenes of mass protest of Muslims we do see is when they come to protest some action they find offensive (like the Danish cartoons). Decent Muslims, you are the same race as every other decent person on earth, please make your voices heard, and honor publicly the memory of one of your best, SGM Mohemmed.

+1 # Steve84 2010-10-06 07:22
Every major religion - with the exception of Buddhism for the most part - is about exclusion and ultimately hatred. They couldn't exist otherwise. Christianity is no different. Not one damn bit. The Bible (both testaments) is every bit as vile as the Koran and how Christians cherry-pick from it to support their own insecurities and hatred is beyond disgusting.

The difference is that Western culture underwent enlightenment and secularization in the 18th and 19th centuries. We have laws that prohibit this kind of behavior and prevent religious organizations from influencing politics directly (not that they don't do all the time in the US). The Muslim world (with the exception of Turkey to some extent) never underwent that development. Religion, politics and everyday life are so intertwined that they are basically inseparable. If radical Christians could act in the same without legal repercussions, they would. So they just find more subtle and less outright violent ways to express their beliefs, subjugate society under their faith and fight everyone who isn't exactly like them.

# Deidre 2010-10-10 15:34
Opinions...such absolutism in discussing any religion or religionist without having read the religious text is immature. We can all read the Bible, the Koran, or any other book and make determination what is being said and in what context and whether the followers are true or apostate. This batting each other back and forth is so unseemly, unnecessary and uncalled for.

At issue here is the goodness of one individual man. His uncommon quality, honor and humanity should be celebrated not denigrated. There are men and women of honor in every nation. Let's recognize SGM Mohemmed al-Ahbab for the fine human he was and pray that many more like him rise up and defend freedom and liberty. R.I.P.

# parlefer 2010-10-13 06:54
that broke my heart. thank you for telling us.

+1 # Mick 2010-10-13 07:06
Thank you Mr. Mohemmed (whatever your true name is) for your service to your country and being a brother to those of mine.

I bet it was the fire that you really wanted to kill the bastard in front of you that kept you alive for so long.

You'll be remembered by us Americans civilians and the men and women you've served with from the American military, trust me, I'll remember your story.

If you were a practicing Muslim than may Allah bless you and those of your family that were killed and curse those that killed you.

And for you Christians...I' m sure Jesus would welcome him in his arms for the man was a protector of the innocent.

And for agnostics like me...well I hope there is something else better...and I hope he is there.

I'm pretty sure this keyboard warrior won't die in the way he did nor give service in the way he did.

That is what I think we should remember.

+1 # John C. Lamoreaux 2010-11-02 00:36
A true shahid!

-1 # JR 2010-11-16 11:08
Joe F - It called perception you see it one way and I see it another. I think people on the left are the ones filled with hate and lack common sense. You complain about Fox news but have you ever watched MSNBC? They employee some of the most disgusting people I have ever seen, they think they're so clever whenever they call the tea party people teabaggers because they are getting away with calling people a nasty sex act. So go ahead you can think like that and pretend your a compasionate person.

+2 # RT 2010-11-28 14:17
SGM Mohemmed was my friend. Even though we came from two extremely different backgrounds we had a lot in common. We both liked to tell jokes and laughed all of the time. I remember his smile the most. When I met him for the first time he treated me like we had known each other all of our lives. This was very surprising to me considering the fact that I am a female soldier. He regarded me as an equal and a friend. For those of you that think all Muslims are terrorists I urge you to really get to know an individual of this faith. Do not judge, We are all god's children regardless of the book that guides us or the name by which we call our creator. SGM Mohemmed was a hero. I just recently heard the truth about his death. I tell you that my heart has been broken by the loss of this brave soldier. I can't imagine going through the torture that he had to endure. I will never forget him.

# ali 2010-12-04 08:04
where are you now

+1 # P.H. 2/75 2011-01-14 05:53
RT,
You are so right. He was kind, gentle, deadly and serious about ridding his country of terrorists of any flavor, and a hero. Those who knew him will keep him in their hearts along with all our other fallen in this war.
L7

-3 # johnny infidel 2011-02-15 00:18
Seems a lot of "useful idiots" to the scourge of islam have found their way here. Despite this poor bastard's dreadful torture...read the "holy quran". If you've any sense you shall see straight away that these morons have no regard except extermination for "infidels" ,kafirs to you. What the hell makes you think you can reason with a person with this sort of mentality? F.Y.I. recently a WMD was intercepted on our left coast if that means anything.

# Thank youIraqi Basra 2012-07-24 18:50
As an Iraqi, I find this very touching, in Iraq we know that the ISOF/ICTF are our last line of defense against any threats from inside or outside. Those guys are brave and they work for Iraq and no one else. Today 10,000 troops serve in ISOF and they all are highly motivated to protect the democracy in Iraq. We need more quality weapons, some of the ISOF in south Iraq and other places are still using AKs and Mi-17 helicopters. The Iraqi government is willing to buy 11bn worth of equipment for the IA which will standardize our armed forces and make them fully use American weapons. I thank you again for your positive image on Islam and yes we are peaceful people but we have a group of crazy bastards who have to be shown the right path the hard way.

I thank you again.

# Is the Al Qaeda story about eating their kid true?TMI 2012-11-08 19:36
Michael, is the story about the Al Qaeda family baking their own kid and serving it - true?