Moment of Truth in Iraq Photography Exhibit

I am very happy to announce the opening of my first photography exhibit.  During my travels I have taken thousands of photos, only a small portion of which have been published.  Some of these images will be on public view for the first time when Picture Perfect Frame Shop in Lakeland, Florida, hosts the Moment of Truth in Iraq Photo Exhibit.  From September 25 to November 8, the gallery will feature forty images which have been specially prepared for this event.  All images will be available for purchase, along with copies of my books Moment of Truth in Iraq and Danger Close. The proceeds will help fund my work in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Although I will be in Afghanistan, I cordially welcome everybody who can make it.  If you’re in the Central Florida area, please come see the exhibit.  It will really mean a lot to me.

Michael

Picture Perfect Frame Shops, Inc.
4525 South Florida Avenue, Suite 28
Lakeland, Fl 33813

(863)-644-9951

Exhibit Hours :
Mon, Tue, Wed , + Fri             9am-6pm
Thur                                           9am-8pm
Sat                                             9am-4pm

Grand Opening on September 25 starting at 9:00 a.m.

Emira Viking · 10 years ago
    Man, do I wish I were in Central Florida. I'd be at the exhibition in a heartbeat.
    Ross1981 · 10 years ago
    Michael, this is absolutely worth the short trip from Clearwater. I'm bringing as many friends and family as possible. Stay safe,

-Ross
    wtc? · 10 years ago
    Great news Michael. Sadly, I live in the opposite courner of the US - otherwise, i'd be there. Thanks for all the work you do.
    Martha Jennings · 10 years ago
    I am determined to see this exhibit. I will be coming from Naples, Fl.
    swampthing · 10 years ago
    The three rifles on the left are Martini Henry manufactured from 1871 thru the turn of the century. There were 4 major variants. Early models had a .451 bore and the latest fired the long lived .303 british cartridge. See http--- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martini-Henry for much more info. As for the last rifle, I am unable to determine at this moment.
    Regards
    swampthing · 10 years ago
    The 4th rifle to the right appears to be a Springfield Trapdoor model unknown. Difficult to determine with this picture.
    HLH · 10 years ago
    Very Cool and Congrats on the Exhibit! I would like to go -- unfortunately I also live in the opposite corner (Seattle) of the country. I'll just have to experience/enjoy the showing vicariously through others who attend. :-)

Question:
    I have adopted some Soldiers who are currently serving in Afghanistan (it's an intelligence team of 5 men, on a small, remote, and dangerous - they tell me - post). Anyway, I want to send them a copy, or two, or three, of your book -- do you know if I can order through the promotional offer w/Soldiers' Angels and designate a specific soldier(s)/provide the ship to address? I have tried to contact the customer service dept. at Richard Vigilante Books (via email with the email address they provide on the website), but I haven't received any reply.
    Annie · 10 years ago
    Mr. Yon - Thank you so much for sharing your insights on this blog. We are hungry for what is true! I am thrilled to say that I'll be making the drive over from Orlando to visit your exhibit. Question: would it be wise to bring my young children with me (4 & 5)? I want them to understand what is happening in our world, to love our country and appreciate service men and women. But I do want to be wise with about exposing them to graphic images before they are ready. I will be driving down either way, but I would appreciate any clarification you can share on how graphic the images will be. Thank you in advance!
    Leslie Sapp · 10 years ago
    As swampthing has already posted, the three rifles on the left are Martini/Henrys, the service rifle of the British army during the late 19th century. Think 'Rudyard Kipling", "The Kyber Rifles" , etc. We aren't the first western power to tangle with the Afghans. I'll bet those old guns could tell some stories!

The crown proofmark is the stamp of the British Government. In your original photo, can you tell which arsenal that rifle came from? I can't read the lettering in the photo.

The other gun appears to be a "trapdoor" design of some type, similar to the American army's Trapdoor Sharps rifle of the same period. It might be a Sharps, but I can't be sure from the photo.