Into Thine Hand I Commit My Spirit

Arghandab, Afghanistan
New Year's Eve, 2009

On this small base surrounded by a mixture of enemy and friendly territory, a memorial has been erected just next to the Chapel.  Inside the tepee are 21 photos of 21 soldiers killed during the first months of a year-long tour of duty.  The fallen will belong forever to the honor rolls of the 1-17th Infantry Battalion, 5th Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division, and they will join the sacred list of names of those who have given their lives in service of the United States of America.

The symbol of the 2nd Infantry Division is the Indian Head.  At night, soldiers of the “Indian Head Division” can be seen passing by the tepee, sometimes stopping to peer inside before walking into the darkness.

Sometimes the soldiers walk by carrying lights that are red or green, or sometimes white.  Tonight, Cobra Battery was firing illumination rounds from the cannons, which boom from the darkness, arcing a round into the night, where miles away a canister unsheathes, and the parachute opens, and brightness floats silently, shimmering over the valley where these soldiers died.

The firing is not done in remembrance, but to support ongoing combat operations.

Inside the tepee are the 21 photos, and a Bible.  The book is opened to Psalm 31.

In front of each photo, electric candles flicker through the night.

Mostly there is silence.

Soldiers put cigarettes in front of each photo, though they say that many of the fallen did not smoke.

…for thou art my strength.

Only during such times are strong men and women of greatest importance.  At all other times we have Hollywood.

Today we need soldiers who never forget their brothers, while they carry forward with devotion and strength.

Comments

# d 2009-12-30 18:39
God bless

+3 # RE: Into Thine Hand I Commit My Spirittresho 2009-12-30 18:46
Leaving an offering of tobacco at a sacred site is an ancient Indian custom. The use of cigarettes as mentioned in the article certainly resembles a tobacco offering in the ancient tradition. I have seen dozens of small offerings of images, colored ribbons & cigarettes unobtrusively tucked in rocky crevices in the Black Hills, sacred to the Lakota tribes, near Mt. Rushmore. The last time I was at the Viet Nam Veterans Memorial I shredded a cigarette I bummed from a friend, and sprinkled the tobacco from it next to the name of my cousin, KIA in 1970, 1st Cavalry Division.

+2 # RE: Into Thine Hand I Commit My SpiritK. Gibbs 2009-12-30 18:52
Please encourage our brave men and women in uniform that they are not forgotten. Even if we do not always post, we are thinking of them often in thought and prayer. Thanks again to them for their service and sacrifice.

# carder 2009-12-30 19:15
Is it just me or does it seem the Afghan night sky is just full of stars? We certainly don't see such shimmering skies here in central Florida.

# D. Eichenberger 2009-12-30 19:38

Our hearts go out to the families of the fallen and to their comrades who love them. We continue to keep all of you in our prayers.

# david 2009-12-30 19:41
To those who have and continue to serve - I honor you in the highest. To those who have given all - I shall never forget.

Thankyou Michael for telling their story.

+2 # RE: Into Thine Hand I Commit My SpiritKanani Fong 2009-12-30 19:57
Someone put so much thought into this memorial. I don't know who or whom it was, but really ...an incredibly deep and rich experience has been given to those who have passed and others who hold them in their hearts. Everything about this post touched me very deeply: the stars, the illumination, the single stream of light, the photos of those who have passed, the bible. Thank you so very much.

"What is life?
It is the flash of a firefly in the night.
It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime.
It is the little shadow which runs across
the grass and loses itself in the sunset."

-Crowfoot, Blackfoot warrior and orator 1830 - 1890

# Jan D USA 2009-12-30 21:21
A spiritual memorial of the purest form. A tribute of greatness for our fallen soldiers. I am so thankful to whoever did this in their honor.

Michael, the photos are simply magnificent .... each photo accentuated the one before. I deeply felt the sacredness of the memorial. You put me right there. Thank you so much.

And, Tresho, thank you for sharing the ancient Indian custom. And, Kanani. for the poem of the Blackfoot Warrior.

# Ken Van Tassell 2009-12-30 21:31
Wonderful tribute to the SPIRIT we hope lives on

# Ron 2009-12-30 23:11
Thanks for sharing this with us Michael - God bless you and our troops all over the world

# 50GreenDodge 2009-12-30 23:15
Are there watchers in that night sky over pagan, sere Afghanistan?

Do they report on the primitive battle witnessed from above? Is such futility observed and later communicated - to waiting leaders on harsh worlds several galaxies distant?

- 'These are sentient beings, but they lack higher ability at resolving the difficult problems of coexistence.'

- 'Food and fuel abound, leaving open the question of why there is such strife - less it is their natural condition.'

Fellow readers: Would you like to feel as good as I occasionally do? Then set up a periodic donation to Michael Yon. Keep this great work going.

Happy New Year, Michael.

# Sharon Robino-West 2009-12-30 23:21
There is lasting peace in the native traditions for those who have fought the good fight and gone on ahead of us. Those in Afghanistan are not and will not be forgotten.

This is a political war on many levels. The fact that the prize does not include rich oil fields has a lot of bearing on whether or not we will hear much about the current conflict, and why we are still fighting a war there that began before Iraq even got started.

# o6ret 2009-12-31 00:20
Michael: You are doing the Lord's work but I fear it is for naught, at least not to document the victory.

This administration has no vision (or stomach) for the fight in A'stan. The President's "commitment", apparently caught somewhere between his Nobel prize and campaign pledge, begins with a belated decision to send an additional 30K troops while simultaneously stating his intent to begin withdrawing those same assets before they've been fully deployed.

This politically correct "leadership" provides our ground commanders with only limited options, none of them very good given the constraints. Our brave marines and soldiers press on with little to look forward to except counting the days (and fallen comrades) until their tours are over or the withdrawal begins.

We look to you to document their plight. Your insightful writings are creating a lasting and honest record of their dedication in the face of daunting odds. Your words, augmented by the perceptive eye of your camera, capture the humanity of our warriors as never before.

Rest up in Hong Kong....but hurry back. The war fighters (and the American people) need you to tell their story.

# Jean 2009-12-31 00:49
GOD BLESS ALL.They rest in the arms of their FATHER who he knew before they were in thy Mothers womb.GOD I pray for these your children to lead,guide,dire ct,touch with thy loving hand.Thank you Michael for all you do stay safe and I know you are wearing the GOSPEL ARMER GOD BLESS you and protect you.

# Ed the Roman 2009-12-31 01:14
Central Florida has almost twice as much air between it and the stars as AFG does, and much, much more ground based lighting.

You see a similar difference in night skies between Oahu and the saddle between Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea on the big island. It's astonishing.

+1 # RE: Into Thine Hand I Commit My SpiritMatthew Aamot 2009-12-31 01:26

# John Nixdorf 2009-12-31 02:02
The 2nd ID "Warrior Division" is our line of defense in Korea as well as across the globe in the War on Terror. Visit their website http://www.2id.korea.army.mil/

# Naked Patriot 2009-12-31 02:15
God Bless our Warriors and thank you Michael for your beautiful work and dedication to our military.

# Todd Gates 2009-12-31 02:20
The Bible says that "where sin abounds, grace abounds that much more". Isn't it ironic that the worst human endeavor brings out the greatest of human qualities. I thank God for the valour, sacrifice and love shown by our warriors. In a movie, which title I've long forgotten, the character talks about Pele's famous, last second, bacward somerswault bicycle kick for a goal. Pele runs across the field in a joyeous frenzy ripping off his jersey. e character says, "It uplifts me to know that I belong to a species that can do such amazing things."
I am uplifted to know that in some small way I am related to such human beings as these. I am both humbled and pride-filled.

# Frank 2009-12-31 02:39
Michael--
May the LORD give you peace as you grieve these brave soldiers.
"We don't know what the future holds, but we know who holds the future"
Regardless of who is currently in the Oval office, these soldiers did not die in vain.

+1 # RE: Into Thine Hand I Commit My SpiritSeguin DeRousse SMSgt USAF Ret. 2009-12-31 03:13
My grandsons have all served/are serving in Iraq. So far, none of them have been to Afghanistan. I pray that
the sacrifices of these young men will keep them from going, but, I know they will go if asked....
Thank you all....

# Wes 2009-12-31 03:13
One of your best dispatches ever...

# Kevin Brooke 2009-12-31 03:29
God bless you Michael as you cover these historic events that are so much a part of all of our live's. As a "Native American" myself I find this article & photos very timely indeed!! The "Tepee" is the "perfect" figure of expression to symbolize our worrior's there. I pray daily for all of you & ask that most will return home safely. I know that other's will not & may God take them into "HIS" kingdom, where they will suffer no more.

# Doug Laybourne 2009-12-31 03:45
Sunset and evening star and one clear call for me,
And may there be no mourning of the bar, when I put out to sea.
But such a tide as moving seems asleep, too full for sand and foam,
When that which drew from out the boundless deep turns again home.
Twighlight and evening bell, and after that the dark.
And may there be no sadness of farewell when I embark;
For though from out our bourne of Time and Place the flood may bear me far,
I hope to see my Pilot, face to face, when I have crossed the bar.

# AFSister 2009-12-31 03:46
Once again you've captured the Warrior Spirit of our Soldiers in pictures, Michael. They honor the dead by continuing to live and fight, remembering all and forgetting none.

I sit at home sometimes, missing my husband as he works away from home, and think about all of the wives out there that won't see, smell, or feel their husbands again due to their sacrifice. It is then that I feel thankful, not depressed or sad, that he's not at my side that very moment, because I know he will be soon. God bless them all.

*sigh*

# Kathy Rollwage 2009-12-31 03:51
I hope that the US and the world will someday truly realize the incredible sacrifice that has been made and continues to be made by those that serve in the Armed Forces, but especially those directly in harm's way every second of a given day. May God protect them and give them victory over their enemy.

# Jim Growney 2009-12-31 04:13

Once again, your writing and pictures transport us to the reality of the situation. This somber celebration of our fallen heroes is beautifully done.

Thank you.
Jim G.

# Sara Johnson 2009-12-31 04:22
Powerful, powerful visuals and words that document our soldiers lives halfway across the planet. God Bless all families and friends waiting at home for these brave defenders. Stay safe Michael Yon and keep telling us their stories.

# Ed Rohneer 2009-12-31 05:00
In Vietnam we used to say, "Though I walk through the valley of death, I shall fear no evil. For I am the toughest son-of-a-bitch in the valley." It was said more to try and protect us from our own fears, than a statement of fact.
I only hope that now, not as then, the American people stand firmly behind our military as they fight the fight we no longer are able to. God Bless and Keep Them Safe as they go forth in harms way.

# Mike Isaacs 2009-12-31 05:02
I am completely humbled by your work. Truly, your greatest reward awaits you in heaven. Your work inspires me to live each day a little better than the previous; to remind those around my daily walk for the reasons why we fight, and to live in sincere graditude of the men and woman who lay it on the line each day of their service so that I and my country can continue to enjoy freedom...

I too will celebrate in silence tonight and pray for victory and a safe return home for you and our fighters one day soon.

God Bless you and the work you do...

Mike

# Marilyn 2009-12-31 05:03
What a beautiful tribute these soldiers have made to their fallen friends. I recognize the names written, and it saddens me to no end and, selfishlessly, I am grateful that the name of the one I love is not written there. Thank you, Michael for portraying so beautifully the hearts and courage of our soldiers.

# Vi 2009-12-31 05:29
You make me cry for... THE SORROW. SARIFICE, BEAUTY, of this HELL OF WAR !

# Leonard Henry 2009-12-31 05:29
I recited this poem at my father's funeral last Spring at the national Cemetery in Florence, SC. He was a Marine... Guadalcanal, etc.

# Michael Slee 2009-12-31 06:09
It is customary that when every they have a pow-wow and the spirits are called they make offerings around the drums where the men are chanting. Tabacco is a common offering to the spirits. It is a sign of respect. They know you have them in mind.... they are not forgotten.

# Eagles Dominion 2009-12-31 06:10
As A Vietnam Veteran 69-70 whose son is currently serving in the Arghandab, Afghanistan area with the 4th BCT, 82nd ABN DIV I want to say THANK YOU and a SAFE and Happy New Year to all those that serve this Great Nation!! God Bless.

# Tim Hurson 2009-12-31 06:33
An absolutely beautiful memorial and your depiction of it brought it to life for all the world to see. This is what our nation needs to see on the nightly news. God bless our men and women in uniform.

# Pete G. 2009-12-31 06:48
Again another wonderful post. A picture truly does say a thousand words. You express so much with so few words and pictures. It never ceases to amaze me how well your pictures and words tell so very much with so little. Nothing can compare to our brave and dedicated men and women that take the fight to our enemy. Thank God that someone like you are there to record their stories. I never pass a chance to stop and shake hands with anybody that I meet wearing the uniform of any branch of our armed services, and tell them, " Thank You" for the sacrifice that they have volunteered to make, no matter where it may be or how much I have to go out of my way to do it. Please let them know that they are always in my prayers and thoughts.
As for you, please be careful, as much as it is possible, where there are no real safe areas to start with. We need you as much as we need the troops so their stories will get told. Big media and the networks have no interest in telling the true stories of courage and personal suffering plus the sometimes humorous events that will always take place even in the worst of conditions. I can't afford to make a regular donation, but still manage to send something as often as I can. I always forward your posts on to my friends and give your website URL to anyone who has never heard about your work. May God bless and watch over you in 2010 and far into the future. You are truly a special person.

P.M.G.

# Ed! 2009-12-31 06:51
The words and images used in this were of such awe inspiring beauty. I find it telling of our soldiers over there that they show such devotion to their fallen comrades with such a display. It says volumes of the character of those that sacrfice so much for all of us, not just in the US, but all over the world. God Bless our soldiers.

# Cory Graves 2009-12-31 07:23
Your photos are magnificent. Your words are formed of peacefulness from your heart. To you and all those you are surrounded by in this time of turmoil I offer my warmest regards and deepest gratitude for protecting our freedom. Thank you so much for your tireless dedication. Happy New Year, I hope that we can put this war to rest soon and all find peace in our lives. God Bless you and our soldiers, especially those who have fallen.

# spratico 2009-12-31 08:20
May God bless these brave men and their brothers in arms who remember them and hold them in high regard. Few people respect what the US Armed Services has done to actually bring peace to world. We are only remembered lately for what we fail to do correctly. To those I say, "When you are beaten down and oppressed, who will you hope to save you?"

I have so much respect for our guys. They are THE BEST!!! Sometimes I wonder if losing such quality men is worth it. I am reminded, however, that we are the last bastion of freedom-loving, self-sacrificin g people on the planet. If we don't lead in the fight against despotism, evil, and hate...who will?

May God bless our guys in the field and the ones who have fallen for our country AND to liberate another country. I pray for you all. Be safe, boys, we here in the States are praying for you. These prayers also go out to all of the courageous guys from Canada, Lithuania, Poland, Britain, Australia, the Frenchies, and everybody else who fights for peace and freedom.

God bless, boys! And God God bless you, Michael.

# GM Roper 2009-12-31 08:26
Michael, from the first time you welcomed me into the world of blogging back in '04 I have read your posts and your dispatches. All are moving, but none more moving than this one. God Speed my friend, and thank you for your undaunted spirit and the spirit of these wonderful American forces. God bless you all.

# M. Perry 2009-12-31 08:27
Thank you Michael for bringing us your photos and feelings of what the boots in Afghanistan are facing to protect us at home. We read with special feeling the last inscription of SPC Aaron Aamot, a local young man we received and attended his funeral in our local high school. Aaron lived Psalm 31, which was a tremendous comfort to his Family in they are assured of meeting him again in eternity. We have a son in Leatherneck. Our hearts are with all the warriors fighting the evil to protect the helpless.

# Roger 2009-12-31 08:53
A beautiful post and beautiful imagery (even though nothing will top your picture of the soldier cradleling the iragi girl--its up there with the flag raising on suribachi)

I was fortunate to be accepted in the Yakima Warriors association when I was in central washington, and I very much appreciate the link to all Americans, from the ones that got here first to the latest to arrive--we are Americans all--and the only lapel pin I wear anymore is that of the Yakima Warriors--

Thanks for a brillant and most moving post.

# Terrye 2009-12-31 08:57
Beautiful.

# J Jones 2009-12-31 08:59

This appeared to happen in your neighborhood. Any information?

"Also Wednesday, NATO said four Canadian troops and one journalist from Canada were killed when their vehicle hit a roadside bomb on a patrol a few miles outside the southern city of Kandahar. The journalist, Michelle Lang of the Calgary Herald, was on assignment covering Canadian military operations, said Major Steven Cole, a spokesman with the NATO-led forces."

# Cathi L. 2009-12-31 09:12
God bless, Michael. God bless our troops. And thank you for all you have done and all you will be doing for our troops in the future.

# Victoria Hudgins 2009-12-31 09:23
Dear Michael,
May God bless you and keep you, for all that you give to your job. Your photos and essays touches me deeply. I truly believe God put you here for this very special work. Safe journeys, Michael.
Victoria Hudgins
San Diego, CA

+1 # RE: Into Thine Hand I Commit My SpiritMD Pacific NW 2009-12-31 09:28
Matthew, When I read your comment, I was at once struck by its simple and powerful message.

" Thankyou Michael, and thank you to the soldiers I now call my brothers in the 1-17. I am smiling through the tears..."

When I read the tag, I remembered the photo Michael took of the names on the memorial to the fallen, and the name of Aaron Aamot your loved one at the end of the list. (I make it a point to read every name on all such lists...it is my way of honoring them and showing respect to those who go where I would not, to do a job that I cannot)
Your courage and kindness in posting your message in the face of such a devastating time for you and your family, is a testament to the American heart, and one of the very reasons your brothers, and ours, are now in Afghanistan.
Thank You, Matthew.

Again, Michael, please... tell our brothers and sisters there, ALL of them, thank you from us. That we love them, miss them and stand or fall, we are with them in spirit.

# jill 2009-12-31 09:41
I don't think General McCrystal would look to kindly on this display. Court Marshals all around.

# Alaska Paul 2009-12-31 10:07
This is a very solemn and touching memorial, Michael. I would like to see your photoessay displayed in some MSM media. But of course they would not do it. Nevertheless, someone has to chronicle the deeds and sacrifices of our warriors, and some of it falls upon your shoulders.

Well done.

# Marlene Ruppert 2009-12-31 10:21
Michael, I am so incredibly touched to the core by the pictures, the Biblical passage, the actions of the troops...so many things in here that make me so very proud of our American military. I have prayed for all of them and for you. Please take care and thank you so much for your sacrifice too. God be with you ALL.

# ben sweet 2009-12-31 10:22
I remember the same lum rounds from a different time 70-71 .You guys are where you need to be.god bless

# Mark 2009-12-31 10:39
Michael, thank you for helping us to remember. Please tell our soldiers we will not forget them.

# Steve W. 2009-12-31 10:59
The tough times sometimes bring out the best in men. Let's hope that somebody can make this whole thing make sense. Happy New Year may be lost on some, but there will be those who carry on. That is all that can be expected of our troops. Do what you do best in the best manner you can. We'll all meet again some day.

Steve W.,

# Angelia Hill 2009-12-31 11:01
Michael, you have done a wonderful job here, one that as I looked at it, brought tears to me. As an American Indian, I knew right away what the tobacco, Bible, Fire Pit, etc... mean. May Creator Watch over you all, and we will Never forget. You all are True Warriors. May God the Creator of all things, watch over and Protect you all.

# cdog 2009-12-31 12:01
There is no god in war, why would a god choose sides? Death is not sacred. Men do not fight "the good fight". War is futile.

# J 2009-12-31 13:11
Wonderful! Thank you for keeping us posted. I do have a small issue, though. We always way "we will not FORGET" and I think we need to start saying, "We will REMEMBER!"

Why? The human brain retains the last word and does not retain the "not" before "forget." We need to remember these guys, it's that simple.

Thank you!!!

# SSG Lem Genovese / VN Vet & Desert Storm Combat Medic Retired 2009-12-31 13:22
Michael:
First off, you are doing a magnificent job with your blog/post. Make sure the troops know about David's Psalm # 91. It is the timeless soldier's Psalm of Protection.
I LIVED that one during the combat phase in the largest tank battle of Desert Storm. Send me an address and I will send you a copy of my latest CD.
The website for free MP3 downloads is > www.yankeemedicrecords.com.
Keep up this badly needed communication for all of us back in the States praying for you every day.

# MD Pacific NW 2009-12-31 13:45
Irony,
you should read the book given to men by the God whom you make reference to.
God has a history of choosing sides. When the Israelites entered the land promised by God to them, there followed many battles. It is written that God gave them the battles, and when they disobeyed him, as in the example of the account of the battle of Ai, in Joshua chapter 7, they lost his favor and thus the battle as well. Obviously, God does choose sides.

In regard to your statement: "Death is not sacred. Men do not fight "the good fight". War is futile" I'm afraid I must differ again. If death were not sacred, why then would the death of his son have meaning to anyone at all?

# CW4 2009-12-31 14:46
Mr. Yon,

Your reporting is superb and photography drives the words home. We are honored to have you as a scribe for our team.

As long as the people support us - and our leaders don't fail us - we will fight to keep the United States and all her allies in this effort free and safe.

Again, thank you for your great work.

# margo hughey 2009-12-31 15:21
I'm a Hoosier Grandmother who has "adopted" many of our wonderful Military over the years. Will share this with them in my Happy New Year's message, tonight.
Regardless of how anyone feels about these wars, we ALWAYS should remember to honor and respect those who are currently serving, and our wonderful Veterans! God Bless you, Michael for a God given talent of expressing in words the thoughts of many who have the same feelings. I have definitely bookmarked your site.

with a grateful heart, Margo

# Lisa-in-DC 2009-12-31 18:33
Michael - Thank you, once again, for the incredible photos - you've captured, I think, the stillness and the specialness of the place. The stars alone are amazing.

# Starzareus 2009-12-31 19:55
To the poster speaking of the brightness of the stars, you will see that in any desert climate, drive 50 miles out of Vegas or to Tuscon AZ., the Astronomy capital of the world and you will know what I mean.

As a veteran I wonder when our politicians will let us obliviate an opponent into obsoletion, no mater who dies and end the war in two weeks... Nooo.. We have to drag this shit out forever and eventually lose, because we're too good to kill, while we're in a war.

# Dori Medina 2009-12-31 20:57
I think of our military almost every day. I pray for our military and am very thankful that we have these great men and women who willingly serve to protect our country and allow me to have the life that I have here in the U.S.A.

# Sonja Dalton 2009-12-31 21:11
This post was moving -- heart wrenching -- and renews my call to pray for our young men. May God protect you, Michael, as you stand by your courageous friends, helping us to understand their work and appreciate their amazing sacrifice. And may we endeavor to produce lives worthy of the price paid for our liberty. Please let us (me) know how we can encourage them...

# Caro 2009-12-31 22:03
TO: 'Jill'

I can't possibly see what General McChrystal would have to be 'displeased' about, much less start court martial proceedings against, in this memorial. I think you need to have your own heart examined! When our brave boys and girls DIE protecting YOUR right to be an idiot, and express that idiocy in idiotic ways, I believe their BROTHERS IN ARMS have the RIGHT to express their own Grief and sorrow, and show their respect for their fallen comrads in respectful ways. I think you are in a minority here.

+2 # RE: Into Thine Hand I Commit My SpiritBrooke Jenkins 2010-01-01 06:14
Michael-
Thank you for your beautiful post. If not for you, I would not have known about this memorial, and my husbands name is printed on that wall. May we all be brave enough to stand with these men and those who still fight.

"What we obtain too cheaply, we esteem too lightly. Tis dearness only that gives everything its value".
---Thomas Paine

The price for my freedom has never been more costly, so I cherish it all the more.

# M.A.Aamot 2010-01-01 06:37
Jill - you neglected to mention which of the Articles of War were violated. We are a people of law, not of fads, fancies & fantasies. That is, we live in liberty protected by law. Also, it is 'Court Martial'. Used the wrong 'to', too.

# NoGuile 2010-01-01 06:57
May we all live honorably, with integrity, passion and servant hearts. To do any less profanes these patriots' sacrifice.

# Julie 2010-01-01 09:30
Michael, thank you so much fro these pictures! They help a grieving mom deal with the loss of her son! Just knowing that his comrades in arms care and will not forget helps tremendously!
Mrs. Jenkins, Your husband will not be forgotten either! You are in my thoughts and prayers.

# Bryan 2010-01-01 10:14
Jill. Even the mis-spelling of court marshall (?) gives away your uneducated bigotry. No doubt you voted for the present occupant of the White House, who holds the fate of out wonderful fighting forces in his trembling, uncertain, hands. Pray to God that in this year of 2010, the people of this country wil rise up in November and retake the Senate and House so that Obama's power will be severely limited, before he can snatch defeat from the jaws of victory as previous democrat presidents have done, in Korea and, particularly Vietnam.

# RE: Into Thine Hand I Commit My Spiritcovan 2010-01-01 12:36
Bryan,
I find it sickening that you would use the deaths of our fallen warriors to score some silly political points. For shame.

# Sonja Dalton 2010-01-01 15:48
"Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints." -- Psalm 116:15

# Diane Brown 2010-01-01 17:26
I am honored and humbled to be under the protection of these warriors. May God keep everyone of you safe so you can come home to this wonderful country we call the United States of America.

Michael, your reporting is perfection! God Bless You!

# MIchael L. Christman 2010-01-02 06:07
As a Veteran I am well aware of your hardships. I also know that your efforts to cover the MUSLIM war are rightoues. The men and women serving there are saviors of everything I hold dear. Keep up the good work

# Peter Hagan 2010-01-02 08:02
As the father of a British Serviceman who has served alongside the 'Yanks', our Brother's in arms, my heart goes out to the families of those courageous men who have given so much for the rest of us.
May they rest in peace.

# Margaret Harrison 2010-01-02 10:13
God Bless all of these warriors. And God Bless and keep the USA!

-1 # RE: Into Thine Hand I Commit My Spiritjill 2010-01-02 10:15
Bryan, M.A.Aamot, Caro:

Why all the name calling and disparaging remarks. Do you know the US Military's policiy on displaying the Bible in Iraq or Afghanistan? Perhaps you can enlighten me.

"Last May, dozens of Afghan language Bibles sent to a soldier in Afghanistan were confiscated and then destroyed by fire because the command believed the Bibles were intended to proselytize Muslims, which is a violation of military rules and Afghan law. A Pentagon spokesman said the act was a “force protection” measure to preclude Afghans from perceiving the U.S. military was trying to convert Muslims, which could lead to a violent anti-American reaction."

"Two weeks ago, the year-old Bible burning incident was resurrected by three journalists who corroborated to attack evangelical Christians for using the military to advance their religious views. This episode demonstrates four disturbing phenomena: a double standard, a one way cultural and religious bias, political correctness, and the antagonizing of many of our best albeit evangelical Christian soldiers."

-1 # RE: Into Thine Hand I Commit My SpiritScottish Peppers 2010-01-02 15:00
What a horrible attempt to create a sincere memorial for fallen soldiers. A bible in a tipi, really? The buffalo on the outside are actually a species that we made extinct while carrying out mass genocide. What an ignorant display of uneducated drivel.

+1 # RE: Into Thine Hand I Commit My SpiritWilliam Athanasidy 2010-01-02 15:40
To whomever wrote "Misguided and Shortsighted"
What ridiculous drivel you spout. The memorial is perfect. I suspect there is not an ounce of spirituality within you--and, by the way, the buffalo are doing fine. As for genocide, why, isn't that the fate the Taliban and Al Qaida have in mind for self-inflated "PC" minded fools like yourself? We are fighting the most moral war in a generation, against merciless child-roasting raping barbarians who only live to kill us by the millions (read Al Qaida's charter, you uneducated buffoon.) I, for one, hope to the heavens we ignore the fatuities of the Left and drive these swine into the ground before they kill any more innocents, whether Muslim or others.

# Barb Mungovan Koch 2010-01-02 18:07
This is one of those times, and those photo-essays, where I say, "Now, This is my new "Michael favorite." There are so many messages, within messages, and sentiments, and a blanket of honor around it all. This is, to me, a sacred glimpse into a most private, and yet, shared moment of grief. It is a blessing to show these images and share the names,....such that they may be remembered with love, and with honor......and such that, those of us 'here' may remember them in prayer. Never a bad thing,...always a good thing....and Psalm 31,...what an appropriate blessing an message. The backdrop of the stars, the lighting, the various lights on a random evening, so far away. It is all just poetic, and beautiful and sacred. Thank you for creating these 'mental snapshots,' that are incorporated into the tapestry of my life's memories. We will remember, and pray for them....as I will remember and pray for you, Michael. Be good....and if you can't be good....be careful!!!! One of my Dad's favorite 'send-offs.' Happy New Year....Stay safe,.....you are an extraordinary gift to families and soldiers alike. Lovin' you, Barb xo

-1 # RE: Into Thine Hand I Commit My Spiritdoyounomi 2010-01-02 19:26
in response to "the warrior spirit":

I am glad that you can so willingly commit your very screen-name to something that you obviously know nothing about... responding with a reference to threats that have been posed to your own self-righteous ideology does nothing but confuse and divert the subject which has been addressed. This diversion is completely obsolete in regard to the egregious acts that Americans have committed and does nothing but confirm your own ignorance towards the history of this country. Also, the buffalo were massacred in the 19th century merely as an attack on the Native American nations that were a threat to the "Manifest Destiny" that consumed the United States in order to have some symbolic trophy in order to claim a semblance of control over the area that they stole to be their "territory". The massacre of the people who originally lived on the land that is the continent of North America is a travesty that should not be skewed in order to feign glory for an empire that assured their defeat and long-term submission to an invading culture. Your own delusion betrays the angry and dogmatic vocabulary which you utilize to defend your pathetic and short sighted opinions.

-1 # RE: Into Thine Hand I Commit My SpiritScottish Peppers 2010-01-02 19:31
Perfect? It is obvious that you can draw a completely unjustified parallel between the genocide of Native Americans and the bloodshed in the Middle East, but that wasn't really the point of my comment now was it? I am trying to express the fact that Native American imagery has no business being used in an American war memorial, and the inclusion of a bible shows a complete lack of knowledge and understanding of the egregious errors of our ancestors. This confusion of identity between cultures has been used as propaganda for decades and is not only tired, but offensive and disheartening. I cannot agree with your title of this war as the most moral in a generation, and I pity your gross misunderstandin g of the current and past international relations which concern the USA.

# Neveah 2010-01-02 19:38
To Mr. Athanasidy, this is no moral war. If we want to fight a moral war then why is there no war in Sudan where genocide continues to occur? Why do we do nothing in China that has a horrible human rights record and continues to abort its female and disabled children? This is a war for American interests only. And not only do our men and women suffer over there but also innocent civilians as well.

I don't know about the previous commenters but I have more than an ounce of spirituality. I am not self-inflated and believe that being PC means being POLITE. I am a Christian and Jesus is pretty clear about His feelings for war. We don't bring peace by murdering innocents. Call me a lefty liberal or whatever other silly names, you are not the one I'll have to answer to in the end.

That being said, I believe that this memorial is good. Regardless of the state of the buffalo or the Bible in the tipi (many Native Americans are Christian nowadays) they are remembering their friends and fellow soldiers in a good way. It is sincere and from the heart.

+1 # RE: Into Thine Hand I Commit My SpiritSonja Dalton 2010-01-02 21:19
Jesus said "Blessed are the peace *MAKERS*" (not merely the peace LOVERS). For a little more clarity on what the Bible actually teaches about God's perspective on war, might I recommend Ray Pritchard's sermon entitled "The Winds of War" which is posted online at http://www.keepbelieving.com/sermon/2006-08-06-The-Winds-Of-War.

And yes, this war is about American interests...bec ause (dah) national security is the government's primary, fundamental Constitutional obligation. Again, a little reading would do your worldview good, starting with http://www.heritage.org/Press/Commentary/ed091809a.cfm.

Perhaps it would be nice if the USA had the wisdom and authority and resources to fight every just war. But it's curious that the folks who think we should resolve Sudan's problems are the same folks who complain that we arrogantly overstep anytime we do intervene in matters that don't directly concern us.

-1 # RE: Into Thine Hand I Commit My SpiritJeff 2010-01-03 03:37
I came here via a blog whose author is a rigid fundamentalist. I don't visit that blog very often, because I disagree with virtually everything the writer puts up on his blog, but I've been thinking a lot about how the Internet, for all of its usefulness, allows like-minded people to find each other and to "preach to the choir". So I visited and followed the links to this blog. Anytime an "off-key" voice is heard, the choir rushes to silence that voice. Reading through the comments here, I see it happening, just as I see it happening everywhere else. I would like to offer the intoductionto an interesting book that I found for folks here to consider. The book is The Fundamentalist Mind - How Polarized Thinking Imperils Us All and it is by Stephen Larson. I hope this comment encourages at least one reader here to "think out of the box" and be uncomfortable for a change, just as I feel uncomfortable visiting blogs like this one.

-1 # RE: Into Thine Hand I Commit My SpiritJeff 2010-01-03 03:42
The URL that I tried (and failed miserably!) to embed is: http://www.questbooks.net/pdf/FundMindIntro.pdf

I'll come back in a few days to see if anyone has taken me up on my idea ....

+2 # RE: Into Thine Hand I Commit My SpiritMatthew 2010-01-03 07:08
I guess I am not understanding the rationale behind those who want to turn these comment sections into your own rant about: (war) (the war in Afghanistan) (your personal view of US History) ("fundamentalis t minds") etc... This is a simple and moving story about a tribute raised to the men on the 1-17th Infantry Battalion, 5th Stryker Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division. Who do you think is going to be reading this story? Families like mine, or friends of these men, or people who didn't even know them yet want to express their appreciation. There is a time and a place for you to exercise your right to disagree or share your opinions. I just question whether this particular post is that place. Let us consider carefully the proper forum for what we wish to convey.

For those who don't know, the 1-17th emblem includes a buffalo, in tribute to one of its commanders during the Korean War, Col. William W. "Buffalo Bill" Quinn. That is where the buffaloes come in. Again, my best wishes to the soldiers of the 1-17th who are still in Afghanistan and who may happen upon this post. We are thinking of you - we care about you - thank you for your service. "Truth and Courage!"

+1 # RE: Into Thine Hand I Commit My Spiritcovan 2010-01-03 09:39
Well said, Matthew

+1 # RE: Into Thine Hand I Commit My SpiritAnn 2010-01-03 11:09
I cannot imagine the strength, commitment, faith, determination it takes everyone there to get up every morning and do their jobs. May God bring peace to you and your comrades, and the families of the fallen soldiers. May He remain your Rock and your Strength.

+1 # RE: Into Thine Hand I Commit My SpiritNancy 2010-01-03 12:12
Michael - John and I send you, personally, best wishes for 2010. Our prayers are always with you and all of our troops who are with you. You might keep a lookout and see someone you know from our part of the US. What is going on here in the USA is certainly a mess but I'm sure you know all of that. It would certainly be niced if we would always get correct news. Keep safe we are wih you.

# Michael Devolin 2010-01-03 14:37
Nice to see such respect for the troops. Canada just lost 4 more of our guys, plus a journalist. (That makes it 134 dead Canadian soldiers) May the Almighty protect American and Canadian soldiers over there. You are doing a great job honouring the troops like this. Good for you! "Misguided and shortsighted" can kiss my Irish-Canadian ass.

+1 # RE: Into Thine Hand I Commit My SpiritDonald Shook 2010-01-04 04:30

As always, great story and thanks for keeping us all informed on what really counts. Our thoughts are with the families of those 21 young men who gave the ultimate sacrifice and our prayers remain with the battalion as they continue to perform with great distinction. They are now and forever our "Buffalo Brothers"

"Truth and Courage"
Donald Shook

1-17: Blog: http://117afghanistan.blogspot.com/

# John Bucko 2010-01-04 12:21
A great site that is addressed to people who care about what you're doing and care about you're well being. As blogs are open, you get interested people who lack information or have a bias they carry to every blog. Their bias has little to do with the intent of your site, only their gut reaction based on their bias. We'll have to forgive them... Everybody dies.
Some die stupidly doing drugs or alcohol or commiting a crime and they have their victims as well. No Greater Love than a man lay down his life for his friends(rough quote) means that whether you are defending with weapons or giving up your needs to meet the needs of others first, you are showing that love. When you find yourself in a backwater place where you risk your health and safety to improve that of others, and you do it because you love others more than yourself...you are in a good place and are showing 'love' and furthering peace. For the Utopian types who don't believe in God, you're in Bad Company... Karl Marx, Joseph Stalin, Adolph Hitler, Chairman Mao... (I have left off many names).
But, you have free speech and thanks to the people of the type being memorialized here, you will continue to have.
However, be sensitive to the theme of the writers and try not to open your mouth before engaging the your brain or consulting your heart. Thanks to those who clarified the Buffalo symbols on the Tee-Pee before we got to the point of reliving the 19th century. Without justifying what happened, if it had not happened, this country would be much like central Asia(tribal). African Americans would not be (here), Europe would be like Europe was for the previous 500 years or so...and Christianity would still be struggling against tyrants and despots of all type of Political order or religion. For those that missed it in History Class, the great men that framed our government and this Republic used democratic principles with the unshaken belief that the Judeo-Christian God gave us these rights. The separation Clause was to keep the sub-divisions of this great Faith from bickering themselves to a standstill over issues of tradition, practice or govermental control. Proof? Look around and see what other civilizations survived with or without democratic principles...no ne. As our western civilization, that has been based on Judeo-Christian - God-manifested rights, cedes that bulwark of our society to other cultures, religions, or atheist belief, in the name of separation of Church and state, we will see the slow collapse (currently in progress) of our country into either undefendable Anarchy, or a takeover by a religion or political culture that demands total compliance or death. Hmmm, have to think about that one a while. Where have I seen that before...?

# jill 2010-01-04 13:38
Wow the sky in those pictures is amazing. Great shots!
e cigarette

# Dangerousdan 2010-01-05 01:04
Look I don't see what the fuss is all about at least some of their fallen comrades have set up a memorial in regards to them giving their lives for this country and all you can do is bitch about them setting up a Bible in the Tee-pee and such things, remember when you re dead and there's no one who will remember you by your life and the roads or paths that you took will not be remembered, but if a friend or relative puts up something to honor you, your family will at least remember you with fondness.
I just don't see the point in writing such nasty articles about our dead countrymen. For shame appreciate the dead cause without them you wouldn't be here.
Say a prayer for their souls so that someone will say a prayer for you when you are gone.

# linda persinger 2010-01-05 04:00
Please tell our brave men and women they WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN! they are always in our thoughts and in our prayers back here in the states!. they are loved and we pray for their safety and we cant wait for them to come home soon! God bless them and keep them safe . tell them THANK YOU for all their sacrifices. God has them all in the Palm of HIS HANDS!!

# Candace 2010-01-05 04:26
Thank you, Michael, so much for this.
Thank you to those, fallen and still fighting, for every day they serve with strength and committment.
Thank you to the families, for your loved ones' service and your support of them through out.
With gratitude..
C~

# Roger Drew Williams 2010-01-07 16:20
I do not take credit for this idea, but some of the comments reminded me... Someone once said that we are each given a set of tools at birth and that we can use them to build a stumbling block OR a stepping stone. Our men (and women) at arms are trying their best to build stepping stones even for those who are attempting to put stumbling blocks in their way. May God watch over and protect them. They have my eternal gratitude.

# Buddy Willliamson 2010-01-08 06:05
Thank you for the wonderful story. A friend just sent it to my wife. My son's name is on that wall.

I placed a set of electric candles at the masoleum before New Year and well before I knew of the monument in Afghanistan. They are still there and still lit. Hs friend, Nick, just shared a cigarette with him, leaving the tobacco. He hasn't read the story yet. This is a confirmation of fatih that he is safe in God's arms. I will keep the light burning on this end of the world. I know the guys of the 1-17 5/2 will do the same. Thank you for being his friend and brother in arms. God Speed.

# Carla 2010-01-08 10:39
As a U.S. Navy Veteran, and mother and mother-in-law to two U.S. Marines, thank you Michael for the pictures and letting the people in the USA and other places know that our fallen will always be remembered for their sacrifice. My son-in-law is now serving in Afganistan and my son may be going there soon. I am not Christian in the normal sense, but do believe there is a higher power watching over our service men and women. Keep up the good reporting and sending us more pictures of what our men and women doing in the hell hole they are in. As with service men and women who have gone before, if not for them our country would not be free and we would not be able to speak our minds as so many of those who have written here have done. For those who want this war to end I say to you...YOU WANT THIS WAR OVER NO BETTER THAN THE LOVED ONES OF THOSE SERVING. Remember there are those who are waiting for someone to come home, but yet are proud of the role they are playing in keeping the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA free.

# gil47 2010-01-08 12:34
As a father of a son serving in the Army currently in harms way in Afganistan I am grateful to people such as Mike who did a fantastic job with reporting this memorial. I'm also a Vietnam Vet so "welcome home" Thanks for all of you who now do and who have served this great country. God bless to all.
John G

# Gobnait 2010-01-10 12:28
My son is a combat medic with 5/2 SBCT 1-17 Charlie Company 2nd platoon. When I do get to talk to him he tells me very little of what is going on, but I can tell by his voice that things are wrong with him. He'll be coming home on R & R in 13 days (and yes I'm counting) and I feel that the info you've provide the world will help me understand whatever behavior I may see while he's here. Just reading the names and picturing the faces in my minds eye is painful, but I am so proud of the memorial that you have shared with us.

# Just Another Soldier 2010-01-17 15:09
I had the priviledge to visit with C Co. 1-17 IN yesterday as I passed through the AO and could not help but remember the sacrifices this company has made so far here in Afghanistan. Their spirits were high and they were hard at it doing what they do best - take the fight to the enemy. I do not think that they will ever forget their brothers that have gave all but those that remain do them honor by carrying out their duty.

I would hope that all back at home will also never forget and will do our fallen honor as well.

# Anita 2010-01-19 06:39
As a mother of a soldier who will soon be in Afghanistan, it is often diffcult for me to visit your online magazine...fear sometimes battles for more space in my heart. At the same time...I really appreciate the honest news from that area and updates on the fight there. I'm so proud of all of our military. I'm so humbled by their commitment and bravery. Please let the soldiers on the ground there know we love them, we pray and cry and hope for them

+1 # RE: Into Thine Hand I Commit My SpiritSusan Stanker 2010-01-19 09:06
Michael, Thank you so much for the wonderful story and getting it out there to those of us who need such photo's and stories to help us heal when we are in so much pain. My son Spc. Jared Stanker is on that wall and in that tee-pee along side his best friend and brothers that lost their lives too soon but doing heroic acts all of our soldiers do daily. How they are honored by their brothers still there and how should not be questioned or interpreted by anybody who has not stood in their shoes over In Afghanistan. Thank you for sharing all your pictures and stories of our troops. Susan Stanker

# Gregory M. Wemhoff, USN Ret. 2010-01-20 14:03
Your images speak volumes to those who would hear. god bless you.
May they all rest in peace.
G.M. Wemoff

+1 # RE: Into Thine Hand I Commit My SpiritWendy Hallett 2010-01-25 17:37
I had not seen your work before tonight. My son was amongst those honored in the tee-pee. Without your work, we never would have know about this special New Years Eve. The stars in the sky were breathtaking. It was always important to us to stop and be in awe of the stars. I had no idea of the number of stars over there. I did not get to speak to him during this deployment.
Captain John Hallett's Mother

+1 # RE: Into Thine Hand I Commit My Spiritbrett sherrick 2010-02-03 19:32
the time i spent with the men in this company may have been short but i will never forget them. my heart goes out to there families. know that they will never be forgotten

# Top 2010-02-12 11:09
It is pleasing that our Warriors honor our Heroes in a sacred place. Their respect for the Old Way is good. There is a God, it is not me! What I give away, I keep...What I keep, I lose! Love the People!

Mitakuye Oyasin

# Steven Luce 2010-02-12 11:48
My son is serving @ FOB Frontenac right now. I spoke to him the other day and told him of this post. He said he had visited the tee pee just the night before. These were is brothers & friends. The will never be forgotten in this family. The 17th Infantry Regiment are the fighting Buffalo's.

# Richard Yellow Bow 2010-02-14 16:08
For those who still practice the ceremony of Keeping the Spirit . . . this memorial is a beautiful thought. All life is concentric . . . all life is sacred. I was once told by someone special that death is not the final journey. These men live here because we choose to remember. They live where they are because Great Spirit wills it so.

Mitakuye Oyasin

# Virginia Gentleman 2010-02-14 23:47
You remain in my prayers, along with all the warriors alongside of you.

# Kim Fujioka 2010-02-26 13:51
Thank you for serving. God bless you and keep you safe.
Kim

+1 # RE: Into Thine Hand I Commit My Spiritpfc. luce, steven f. 2010-03-02 01:47
as a soldier with the 1-17th infantry in combat here in the arghandab i was witness to the heroic deaths of my comrades. to see so many glorifing them i am amazed and again reminded our task here in such a war torn helpless country. may the rest of us have a safe return this coming summer.

pfc. luce bco 1-17

+1 # RE: Into Thine Hand I Commit My SpiritSpc Leimbach 2010-03-12 12:13
Thank you so much for focusing on the human side, we, the soldiers, and the ultimate sacrifices that too many of our friends and comrades have made here at the Nac. This does a great job of showing the American people that these names are not just statistics. They are Sons, Brothers, Husbands, Fathers, and Friends. Keep up the good work.

+1 # RE: Into Thine Hand I Commit My Spiritanon 2010-03-12 12:28
Perhaps people here could take the political, religious, and ideological arguments elsewhere. you are completely missing the point. That memorial is not here to instigate arguments between anonymous people. it is to honor our brothers, brothers we have trained with, laughed with, shared countless memories with, who have sacrificed so much to help this country. Speaking as a soldier who passes these memorials regularly, it is borderline offensive to read some of the responses.

+1 # RE: Into Thine Hand I Commit My SpiritOGolly 2010-03-12 20:18
What geat pictures. What great words. Perfect. Chokes me up. God bless.

+1 # RE: Into Thine Hand I Commit My SpiritLISA CAMERON 2010-03-17 08:23
thanks to all of you may god be with you you are all in my familys prayers we support you .good job guys keep your spirits up we are all with you

-1 # RE: Into Thine Hand I Commit My SpiritMadeleineCain 2010-07-20 04:12
Following my own analysis, billions of persons on our planet get the business loans at different banks. So, there is a good possibility to find a college loan in all countries.

+2 # RE: Into Thine Hand I Commit My SpiritSomeone Who cares 2010-10-27 07:17
Rest easy, sleep well my brothers
Rest easy, sleep well my brothers.
Know the line has held, your job is done.
Rest easy, sleep well.
Others have taken up where you fell, the line has held.
Peace, peace, and farewell…

The young dead soldiers do not speak. Nevertheless, they are heard in the still houses: who has not heard them? They have a silence that speaks for them at night and when the clock counts. They say: We were young. We have died. Remember us. They say: We have done what we could but until it is finished it is not done. They say: We have given our lives but until it is finished no one can know what our lives gave. They say: Our deaths are not ours: they are yours; they will mean what you make them. They say: Whether our lives and our deaths were for peace and a new hope or for nothing we cannot say, it is you who must say this. We leave you our deaths. Give them their meaning. We were young, they say. We have died. Remember us.

+3 # RE: Into Thine Hand I Commit My SpiritSean West 2010-11-05 20:58
I am actually one of the NCO's that had the honor to paint the memorial for 1-17 IN BN on our OEF deployment depicted above. CSM Smith came to myself and another NCO, he asked that we come up with a simple memorial for our fallen soldiers. When we started it was very weird knowing that we were placing the names of friends that we had gotten to know on a wall and finally realizing that they would never go back home with us. Sometimes I would just take a step back and take a cigarette out and take a nice long drag. I guess it was my way of saying that I missed them and that I was sorry that they would never be able to come home. A simple tasking turned into a personal soul searching experience and the time that I spent painting and thinking was one of the hardest times I had that year. All of the NCO's that helped with this memorial took it personally and considered it an honor to put this together not only for the Soldier's in the unit but also for the families and friends that would never get to see their loved ones again. "Fallen But Not Forgotten"

+1 # GPS Trackergps tracker 2012-12-07 05:07
The article is worth reading. The uniqueness and balance that reflects from this blog post. Now-a-days blogs are used everywhere. The knowledge that we gain from them has no words to describe. The attribute needed is the power of creativity within itself via learning, thinking, creating and rigorous study. Therefore the article is truely helpful for the readers. Thanks a lot for writing such an awesome article. I await your next article with great egarness.

+1 # Thank you for sharing to the worldDana West 2013-09-08 12:36
My son Sgt. Sean West helped erect what you have shown the world and helped paint the huge memorial. A lot of time and heart went into what you have seen. We, the family members of the "Buffalos" heard the stories and saw the pictures that our sons sent home of what they created in tribute to there fallen brothers. They are trying now to get those memorials back to the states and returned to Ft. Lewis in Washington state. A part of my sons heart and his whole battalions are left there with the "21". God bless you for sharing this so that the whole world can see the fallen are honored.

+2 # Re: Thank you for sharingDebbie 2013-09-26 20:25
My son was also there as one of the medics attached to Charlie Co. and knew many of the men who's names are on the wall. If there is anyway I can help in bringing the memorial back to JBLM please let me know. I would consider it an honor.

# RE: Re: Thank you for sharingMatthew76 2013-09-27 13:09
You can follow our progress at https://www.facebook.com/BuffaloMemorial

It looks like everything is falling into place to bring this Memorial Wall home and get it set at Ft. Lewis.

# lmpd51@hotmail.comLeslie M. Payne 2013-10-08 16:34
Beautiful post. It looks like the comments of people from the Facebook spelling police always try to ruin everything.

Reader support is crucial to this mission. Weekly or monthly recurring ‘subscription’ based support is the best, though all are greatly appreciated.  Recurring and one-time donations are available through PayPal or Authorize.net.