Guest Authors

Geotags and Social Networking

Please click here to view the entire document.

Comments

# Kudzu 2010-12-08 16:25
Today in my inbox. Very nice brief and puts it in a way for today's social media addicted Soldier can comprehend it. Makes it easier for me to a leader to explain the dangers of talking too much.

# Trevor 2010-12-08 16:31
I'm sure we'll soon see misinformation apps for the military technorati. What better way to draw out an attacker than present a honeypot target using social media and then spring the trap? Alternatively just post so much misinformation that tracking a target becomes completely ineffective.

# PacRim Jim 2010-12-08 18:56
Once Google has enough photos, they will map the appearance of every urban location on earth, so pattern-matchin g software will be able to locate where any photo was taken, without a GPS.

# dmitryb 2010-12-08 20:30
any person leaving in a city or in suburbs has hundreds of neighbors who predictably leave for work every day. You don't even need a computer with internet to track them. J

# matt 2010-12-09 00:10
basically, Google has now given anyone who wants it the same capability that the NSA has spent trillions of dollars on over the past 55 years. Who are the morons in charge? It reminds me that during the 2001 assault of the Taliban, their people were taking flights out of Pakistan to the Gulf and using their cell phones to call in the location of the 5th Fleet as they looked out the windows. Talk about Gulliver and the Lilliputians.

# tim maguire 2010-12-09 01:11
Why would someone take a picture of their car and advertise to all and sundry that they're going to work? Mythbusters is a great show, but wow! what an ego at work here.

# CorporateDrone 2010-12-09 02:46
And my friends think I'm crazy for taking my photos, converting them to bitmpas, and converting them back into JPGs after stripping off the metadata! Bwa ha ha ha! Who's crazy now, huh? HUH?

# Chris Keys 2010-12-09 04:25
Hey Micheal, this is great information. of all of the posting that I've read of yours have been great. Keep up the good work. By the way, I am married to a a Yon in a round about way. Yon was her grandmother's name or something like that and she was from Louisana. we're also related to Wayne Metcalf, who got me on your list. I'm just a married into the family guy. I'm on Facebook at Author Chris Keys-check it out sometime. We're a lot a like. Again, keep up the good work and maybe you'll come across some of my books-my latest is Reprisal! The Eagle Rises!-it's action adventure with intrgue and thrills built in. It's about terrorists and finally doing something about them.

# Al 2010-12-09 15:39
Part of why Hezbollah gave IDF such a rough time in '06 was use of unsecured cell phones by Israeli field commanders. Hezbollah was equipped with cell scanners provided by Iran's Republican Guard. Hezbollah intercepted unsecured chatter, and got precise lat-long to out maneuver IDF.

# Justin lipson 2010-12-10 03:49
If you turn off location services on your iPhone the location of the photo you take will not be recorded as meta data.

# RE: Geotags and Social NetworkingTaylor Backersville 2012-06-08 15:26
Nice, good to know that other people is sharing and putting there location where they living. I still didn't do my research and I dunno if its true but there building this to loot destitute-ameri cans. irs back taxes

Reader support is crucial to this mission. Weekly or monthly recurring ‘subscription’ based support is the best, though all are greatly appreciated.  Recurring and one-time donations are available through PayPal or Authorize.net.