FYI: Paperwork for Afghanistan Media Embed

17 November 2009

There has been much curiosity about the procedures involved during the embed process.  The process is constantly changing, and is different for Iraq than for Afghanistan.  A Philippines embed is different still, and requires embassy approval because, am told, the State department is worried about what one might say.  In Afghanistan, the process with the British and Lithuanians also varies.  The process can be dramatically different for powerful media outlets, who often come in on "junkets."  In Iraq, in 2005, saw CNN have two helicopters dedicated to it for a day in Diyala Province.  (I went with them.)

The process can be simple and easy, or very complicated.  For instance, I was recently asked to go to Iraq and agreed.  That got bogged somewhere so Iraq is out unless I go alone, which will probably do in 2010.  There is no standard.

As of today, this is the first set of paperwork for Afghanistan.  Minutes ago, I completed and emailed these forms to Afghanistan for an embed with the Stryker Brigade.  Looking forward to getting back with the infantry:

Scott Dudley · 9 years ago
    Themes, angle, intent? Curious as to your response to that question!
    DaveS · 9 years ago
    >Themes, angle, intent? Curious as to your response to that question!

Truth, Justice and the American way
    Simon · 9 years ago

Why don't you try to embed with Canadians for a change? They're a great bunch and they'd love to see a journalist that's on their side! I bet they'd let you shoot at propane canisters! ;o) Kandahar region can be bad for your health though, I know...

Keep up the good work!
    Proud Stryker Mom · 9 years ago
    I hope you get to spend some time with the 2-1 Inf. My son is in Alpha company
    and it would be an honor to have you share their experiences with us on your blog.
    Tell em Mama Robin sent you ;+)
    Scott B · 9 years ago
    Michael, I will be with 2SCR later this spring and we are replacing 5/2 in July. We would love to have you in Saber Squadron (RSTA) if you could pull yourself away from 3rd Squadron, Wolfpack, the former 1-24 IN you were with in Iraq. It will definitely be an interesting time.
    Canadian Regular · 9 years ago
    I second the comment about embedding with the Canadians. I will be deploying on my fourth tour to Afghanistan (Kandahar) in April, and you are the only journalist I will give the time of day to. I have had years of liars and bad experiences- we would love to have you. Yes, I do spend my time outside the wire so it would be a decent experience (hopefully). In any case, please keep up the good work, we really appreciate transparent reality in reporting about our (the coalition's) war.
    Canadian Regular · 9 years ago
    I will be back for my fourth tour as a Canadian Infantryman in Afghanistan in April. I agree that you would be great to have as an embed. I have had years of lies and bad experiences with everyone from the CBC to PBS, and I won't speak to any major outlets. In any case, please keep up the good work, we appreciate you transparent honesty about our (the coalition's) war.
    Canadian Regular · 9 years ago
    thought the first one didn't go through, I'm not a computer guy.
    Randy Stalding · 9 years ago
    When you visit the 5/2 SBCT, you might want to stop in and chat with my son, He's the S-4 for the 402nd BSB. Perhaps he can lend you a hand. He tells me that the real hardship at KAF involves ice cold toilet seats in the porta-potties. Guess the nights can get kinda cold.
    Cannoneer No. 4 · 9 years ago
    Hey, Mike, show us some pics of Task Force Legion calling cards
    MikeinMO · 9 years ago
    Any news of the work going on in Southern Helmand by the 2/2 Marines (Warlords) would be most appreciated too. They've lost 2 now after a month, so it must be a pretty active AO.
    Gobnait · 9 years ago
    How about visitng Charlie Company of the 1-17? Those guys have been hit really hard, have lost 11 so far, and I would really like to know how they are. My son is a medic, SPC James Slago and would love to hear about him.