Af-Pak war continues to escalate

Helmand Province, Afghanistan
05 Sep 2008

The Af-Pak war continues to escalate.  Morale among American, Aussie, British and Canadian forces is high.  I cannot comment on others; to date, I have not been interfacing much with other member nations.  There is no doubt that the war is escalating, but our folks are meeting it head on:  Click here to view article in the Washington Post.

At this rate, 2009 will be the hardest year so far.

Comments

# mary l 2008-09-05 16:40
You are our prayers.

God bless you, your friends, and your allies.
a soldier's mom

# David Wood 2008-09-05 18:08
Quite frankly, the article is nothing but fluff. I wonder what the real story is. Hope you can use your contacts to find out the if we truly crossed the border, for why and what the results were. I will put much more stock in information coming directly from you then some other journalist who probably is back here in the states. Keep up the great work and keep your head down.

# Donna, Los Osos, CA 2008-09-05 21:07
God bless you and keep you safe. Let me add my voice and thank you for being there. There are few who can, or would, do what you do.

# George47 2008-09-06 00:06
Sanctuaries. Troops in pursuit. Talk of invasion. This reminds me of Cambodia, and Richard Nixon standing in front of maps detailing how we needed to attack Vietcong sanctuaries in Cambodia to "flush" them out.

# tankerbabe 2008-09-06 03:21
As much as I hate it something's GOT to be done. Pakistan won't do anything. Seems it's OK for the people in the tribal area to cross into Afghanistan and attack our troops and Coaliton forces but not OK for us to do something about it. Perplexing to say the least.

Be safe Michael. I, too, am so happy you are in Afghanistan to send us the real stories.

# bill jordan 2008-09-06 03:36
Be safe and thanks for bringing us the truth.Your one of the only one I trust to to tell it.

# K Markert 2008-09-06 12:52
I, too, am interested to hear/read what you find there. I've been confused and disappointed in what I've been reading. Not in what we are doing, but in how it is being reported.

Stay safe. We need you doing your job over there. Thank you for being there.

# Rick Johnson 2008-09-07 00:35
I have been a faithful reading of your blog for over 2 years now. Thank you for reporting the truth. Stay safe as best you can. We need you and your valuable reporting very much.

God help us if Obama gets elected. He will remove our troops and all the gains will be for nothing.

# Jonathan Rubinstein 2008-09-07 19:50
Thank you for reminding me why America remains a remarkable country, despite faulty and corrupted leadership. Between General Petraeus and you there are tens of thousands of sincere people attempting to do the right thing. You have consistently gone in harm's way to document the record and tell us what we would otherwise not know. When the editor of the Atlantic died in Iraq, I thought the only real reporter left has gone. I was wrong. Michael Kelly was a gifted reporter and you are a gifted reporter of war and warriors. There will be as much work as you wish to have for the rest of your life. Keep fit and keep well. Thank you.

# Larry S 2008-09-08 12:56
Thank you for your critical involvement in this mission because without the positive news to fight the media war then much of the good work done by the troops can be lost. Your dispatches are excellent as is your book Momement of Truth. Keep up the awesome work and God Speed!

# scott kohler 2008-09-09 02:56
Thank you for your service, sir. I have a 19 year old son who will be deploying to afghanistan. It helps to get first hand information from someone you trust. I bought and read your book, and will continue to help fund your important work. May god bless you and all the brave defenders of freedom over there.